Removing Glossy Nitro?

bobandshawn

Hey everyone,
I recently bought a 2006 American Stratocaster, three-tone Sunburst glossy nitro. I've seen several other similar guitars that have a more subdued/satin finish and I simply love it! I asked the Luthier at Guitar Center if I could softly 0000 steel wool the gloss off my guitar and was bluntly told no - it would look like sh*t. However, he could do it with chemicals...Any ideas from you refinishers out there? :confused:

Thanks in advance,
Bob

wet sand in a small swirling motion with 1200 grit emory paper and dry off, it will have a satin finish.

wet sand in a small swirling motion with 1200 grit emory paper and dry off, it will have a satin finish.
Until you handle it, play it buff it with your sweater etc. Then you have a flat matt finish with a shiny neck and bright spots where you've rubbed it out with your cloths. Will take a bit of time but it'll happen.

Muttley has the right idea

Sell it and get what you want, which should be cheaper anyway.

You pay extra for that glossy nitro, ya know.

Thanks guys - but I bought this on black Friday for $589.00 before a $400.00 trade-in. It was either this one or a cream colored one. No matter of selling and/or buying is going to top that deal anytime soon. I guess I'll just leave it the way it is...

Thanks guys - but I bought this on black Friday for $589.00 before a $400.00 trade-in. It was either this one or a cream colored one. No matter of selling and/or buying is going to top that deal anytime soon. I guess I'll just leave it the way it is...
If your not going to trade that seriously your best bet. Good decision. You can always get a secound lesser $$'s guit with the finish you want next time. No harm in having a few..:D

If your not going to trade that seriously your best bet. Good decision. You can always get a secound lesser $$'s guit with the finish you want next time. No harm in having a few..:D

Seconded.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back