remove speaker, insert plexiglass

Hawking

Here's an interesting one... I'm recording a live jazz band that has 2 trumpets. The problem is that they usually play facing something like a sheetmusic stand covered in plexiglass. The reflection from the plastic is what the players use instead of monitors to hear themselves over the rest of the band (usually about 2 feet away). I was planning on having each of them play directly into a cardioid, but I'm worried about reflections from their 'monitors'. Would I be better off with a boundry mic mounted directly on the plexiglass? There's a few horn solos that will have to be brought foward in the mix, so the sound quality of the microphone is a issue, and I've never recorded anything with boundry mics (what am I in for?).

Hawking said:
Here's an interesting one... I'm recording a live jazz band that has 2 trumpets. The problem is that they usually play facing something like a sheetmusic stand covered in plexiglass. The reflection from the plastic is what the players use instead of monitors to hear themselves over the rest of the band (usually about 2 feet away). I was planning on having each of them play directly into a cardioid, but I'm worried about reflections from their 'monitors'. Would I be better off with a boundry mic mounted directly on the plexiglass? There's a few horn solos that will have to be brought foward in the mix, so the sound quality of the microphone is a issue, and I've never recorded anything with boundry mics (what am I in for?).
I remember seeing a band on a cruise ship that did this. The trumpets played directly at a circle of plaxiglass with the microphone mounted directly in the center of it. I was nowhere near close enough to see what kind of mic it was though.

That's it. But without the hole for the microphone. I hope they don't mind if I bring my drill...

I think I'm going to have to run a few tests to see what going to work the best before the show. I have only 1 take to get it right.

According to the website above, these can be used for legitimate recording. If you place the mic exactly perpendicular to the surface of the plexiglass you should be capturing the minimum amount of sound reflection. Bring a right-angle tool. :-)

_polly

I think the boundry technique might have some merit. I only tried this once befor with a pair of Earthworks omnis smack up against the wall behind a drum kit. It may change the relative tone of the mic some but would seem to at least nullify the reflection.
Wayne

Frankly the application that they have pictured on the site should work fine. Use a cardoid mic and the reflections from the plexi will be coming from the area of maximum rejection.

I think I'll do both. I have the tracks available. Cardioid and a boundry on each horn just to keep the options open when it comes time to mix.

Back