remove extranious sounds

Stefan A

Hi

At the end of a recording of mine, there are a few little extra sounds - like me putting down my instrument or just moving to hit the space bar. How do I remove these extra sounds? I know I could just trim the track right up to the last note, but I am guessing there is a more standard way. I still want the space for some reverb.

Also, there is a click (not clipping) at the same time as a note. Is there a way to remove that sound without losing the note? Is punching in the standard way of fixing this?

Stefan

You can automate the volume of the track, fade it out after the last note.
The only way to remove the click is to find the frequencies it's at, and automate EQ to remove those frequencies for just that point. This most likely will be tough as it probably is at multiple frequencies. Sometimes, you can just volume automate at the noise location - fade in and out really quick, but maybe not all the way to zero - and you won't hear it in the main track sound you want. Expand your view on the track line and will most likely be able to see the little squiggle of noise in the wave form.

Wiat, what does trimming the item have to do with reverb? Unless you want reverb on the noise that you want to cut, there's nothing wrong with just slicing the item and removing the noise. You're still going to get the reverb on the last note you want to keep, and that reverb will ring for as long as you want it to, it won't cut off at the end of the item. Just make like a mohel and slice it off.

If in doubt, trim to the last note and add an empty item at the end. You shouldn't need to though

Wiat, what does trimming the item have to do with reverb? Unless you want reverb on the noise that you want to cut, there's nothing wrong with just slicing the item and removing the noise. You're still going to get the reverb on the last note you want to keep, and that reverb will ring for as long as you want it to, it won't cut off at the end of the item. Just make like a mohel and slice it off.
If he has the reverb as a plugin on the track itself, rather than on an FX buss track, the reverb volume would be cut off with the track volume, no?

If he has the reverb as a plugin on the track itself, rather than on an FX buss track, the reverb volume would be cut off with the track volume, no?
Honestly, I can't say 100% for sure without trying it at home But I think if the effect is on the channel, it won't matter. Maybe if the effect was on the actual item it would cut off, but I don't think it would if it was just on the track.

If you render "entire project", the sound file will end at the exact sample where the last item in the project ends. If the reverb is meant to tail out after that point then you need to set a time selection to cover that extra time and then render "time selection". Or add an empty item as suggested above.

Whether the reverb is an insert on the track or a send to another track it will continue to tail out after the the end of an item. Using normal Volume automation will kill the tails on an insert since the verb will be turned down with the rest of the track, but a "send" verb will ring out. You'd want that to be a post fader send, or you'd get the noise through the verb. Pre-FX, item, or take volume automation will preserve the tails on both insert or send verbs. If the verb is an item or take effect then it's just in the wrong place!

I say just snip it off.

I know I posted a reply to this earlier, but somehow it's not there anymore. Anyway I will definitely be keeping this thread in mind next time I make a recording. For this one, I ended up putting a fade out at the end and that gets rid of the sounds. I'm sure the other suggestions are more "professional", and I will try some other time. BTW, my reverb is on it's own track. Thanks again.

Stefan

Back