removal of effects

Twampy

Hi all,
I have some old four track recordings that I would like to re-master, the concern I have is the effects on them. do you know of any way that they can be removed or minimized? quite a big ask, I have thought about trimming the tails off the wave patterns but that I don't think it will sound very natural.
I use Sonar X2 now so I have plenty tools at my disposal.

'Trimming the tails' as you describe might remove some of the reverb or delay, but WILL make it sound stilted and unnatural. What other FX are you trying to remove? Chances are anything you do will not make the old track s much better, other than trying to filter out some of the noise, boosting any missing bass, etc.

Re-record everything. Okay, kind of tongue in cheek, but if they're good songs that you like, it would be worth the effort.

On the other hand, I have a gazillion songs on old 4 track cassettes and there are better off staying on those cassettes and never getting listened to again. horrible songs. lol. :D

Ha I know what you mean about old songs, it's just one I have which my long lost friend played, just acoustic guitar on 2 tracks and vocals on 2 tracks. I thought it sounded quite good for years until I started listening to stuff I have recorded more recently. It's a nostalgia thing and also a challenge.

Back