Remote recording

faithful

Hi all,

I'm not sure if remote recording is quite the right term but if I want to control transport functions and other basic tasks from another room, how would I go about it? Do you recommend using a long keyboard extension, a midi controller such as a keyboard or what? How do you get around not being able to see the monitor or is it not an issue?

Your experience is appreciated

Jason A

Well, I'd say that it depends on what you have available to you. The simplest option is use a MIDI Keyboard, and set up some key bindings to the transport functions you want to use. Be sure to enable MIDI, and you'll need to pick what key is going to be the "shift" key (Typically C zero, or some other key that won't be used).

I use the EZBus as a control surface, which allows me to remotely arm, mute, and solo tracks, change track levels, and control transport functions. It's pretty slick, but more expensive. I'm a big fan.

-mg

In the studio, I've read about others using VNS (http://www.realvnc.com), which is a free remote control software. It has very low overhead. I tried it last week with great success. It's hard to be behind the Engineering Console when your playing in the band on the other side of the wall, but with a laptop and wireless connection...and VNC, it worked great!

Back