Remix with Rokit 5's

leaningpine

OK, so I finally got a set of studio monitors. KRK Rokit 5's. I only had a budget of $400.00 and these were the best available for $300. I could have gotten Rokit 6's for $400 but there was only a 4 HZ difference in the frequency range(5's= 52Hz-20khz +/-2, 6's 48Hz-20 khz +/- 1.5) and the 6's seemed a bit large for my work area so why spend the extra $100.00.

I've had this song up a couple of times before, and I'm embarrassed I put it on here after hearing them on the KRK's, so hopefully my mix will sound 1,000 times better since I'm mixing on monitors and not mixing on stereo speakers.

I followed the advice of previous threads, I took the bass and kick out of the intro and I split the clean guitar into stereo

Anyway here's the specifics.....

The drums are miked with 4 mic's using the Glynn Johns method. Overheads are large diaphragm AKG perception 100's, the snare and kick are 2 Shure SM 57's

Guitar recorded direct using a line 6 flextone III and a 1987 Gibson SG

Fender p-bass recorded direct

Lead Vocals recorded with the AKG perception 100 and bg vocals recorded with the AKG and SM57 and split into stereo

This is my first mix on these monitors so please let me know of any issues.

http://plunder.com/e778e1265e

Last edited:
Urg, I auditioned the 5's and 6's and felt the 6's were a dramatic improvement. The 5's were too weak in the low end. Sure, there may have been only 4 hz different in the technical aspects, but by hearing some reggae music through them, that difference was huge.

I liked the song. It took it a while to get going, but once it kicked in it was cool. Chorus reminded me of Boston.

Good singing voice. Nice power.

Distorted guitars are a wash of distortion and fizz. It really limits their power.

Cymbals are really phasey and splashy. Snare is dry and a bit too far back in the mix.

Bass might be a little too loud. Check against a pro mix to be sure.

Back