"Relic" mania cracks me up.

hixmix

Halibut, North Dakota
So I saw this guitar today online:
1960 Fender Relic LTD Stratocaster, 2005. Dead mint - collector owned - untouched condition.
:D

Think about it. A one year-old guitar made to look like it has 46 years of wear and tear in "dead mint-collector owned-untouched condition"? :rolleyes:

Never understood the relic thing?? Who wants a guitar that looks like it was dragged behind a truck. The SRV clone, while it looks cool is extremely battered. It looks like it was left out in the elements for decades...

Yeah, like the Gibson "faded" line, or the ESP "James Hetfield LTD Truckster" model - pre-worn, to look like you've put years on the things.

I don't get it either. :confused:

gvarko said:
Never understood the relic thing?? Who wants a guitar that looks like it was dragged behind a truck. The SRV clone, while it looks cool is extremely battered. It looks like it was left out in the elements for decades...

I ordered a few of these for customers- the aging process is pretty brutal, involving chains, sandpaper, UV light, etc.

I can't believe people would pay money for that shit.
That's the ultimate statement of being a poser. The wear means nothing if it wasn't put on through a life of abuse. It can't be about mojo or some crap like that becasue there is no mojo involved in aging a guitar on purpose.
I have to laugh at anybody who would buy that stuff.
What are you gonna do, tell everybody it's the real thing?

Man that shit is ridiculous.....

hixmix said:
It's like paying double for brand new jeans with the holes already in them.

It also reminds me of when I was a kid and all the shitty skateboarders would rough up their brand new skateboards so it would look like they were actually good at it.

In the motorcyling community (sportbikes in particular) there are people (thankfully rare) who will mechanically rough up the outside edges of their tires so that they look like they've been knee-dragging. Sad posers.

Yeah, like this guy tried to sell me a bunch of old RCA tubes he said were "New Old Stock". I laughed and said, why would I want ancient looking tubes, even if they were new. lol

mikemorgan said:
Yeah, like this guy tried to sell me a bunch of old RCA tubes he said were "New Old Stock". I laughed and said, why would I want ancient looking tubes, even if they were new. lol

That's a joke right? :D

hixmix said:
So I saw this guitar today online:
:D

Think about it. A one year-old guitar made to look like it has 46 years of wear and tear in "dead mint-collector owned-untouched condition"? :rolleyes:

The extensive damage is mint!
Done by trained demolisionists only!
No rookie defacing and abuse here.....only technicians professionally trained in fucking up guitars to the point of $2500.00 price points.

Hell if a rookie...like me...started fucking it up...to the limit....it might be worth $5000.00

can't have that!

i can definitely hear what a lot of you guys are saying but theres also a certain asthetic beauty to aged beat up guitars...especially fenders.

that is the only reason i would want one.

Aged is different than Reliced. I love an aged looking guitar, like worn nickel hardware looks better to me than chrome does, not everything has to be shiny all the time. Having chunks out of the paint though... thats a waste of a guitar.

EDIT: I admit I like the look of reliced Fenders.... mostly because whenever I play a Fender I want to drag it down the street. :p

Looks can be decieving, we all agree on that part. To me there is something different in the sound of a naturally worn and aged guitar. All those years of viberations, sweat, bumps, being drug around in all sorts of weather, etc... add up and affect not only the looks but the sound as well. Guitars are like fine wine, they tend to mellow with age and get a little sweeter. The factory "aged" guitars may look the part, but do they sound like they have the age and experience to go along with their looks? To me it's kind of like a 13 year old girl putting on enough make up so she looks 30.... then she opens her mouth....(enough said.)

So I'm looking at the relic line of Fenders in one of their catalogs, and I'm thinkin'; Don't they HAVE to warrant the finish? On a Rory Gallagher Strat do they clear-coat over the areas they've exposed to the elements? How do you warranty an unprotected guitar body?

...I don't see the sense in someone having a clone of someone else's guitar--I do, however, see the potential entertainment value in ridiculing someone who has a clone of someone else's guitar...

Eric

stetto said:
So I'm looking at the relic line of Fenders in one of their catalogs, and I'm thinkin'; Don't they HAVE to warrant the finish? On a Rory Gallagher Strat do they clear-coat over the areas they've exposed to the elements? How do you warranty an unprotected guitar body?

...I don't see the sense in someone having a clone of someone else's guitar--I do, however, see the potential entertainment value in ridiculing someone who has a clone of someone else's guitar...

Eric

I think the clone guitars...like the Rory, the Jimi painted monteray, or the SRV #1 are pretty much for wealthy collectors.

Buy the thing...keep it in the closet....show it to a few select fellow collectors for bragging purposes every once in a while....then sell it in a couple of decades for a handsome profit....and use the proceeds to buy another clone to stick in the closet for a decade or two

Unless one is very wealthy and doesn't desire to sell at a profil...in that case it stays in the closet forever...or in a trophey case.
I seriously doubt if any players buy these things to actually play.

I could be wrong though.

jimistone said:
I think the clone guitars...like the Rory, the Jimi painted monteray, or the SRV #1 are pretty much for wealthy collectors.

Buy the thing...keep it in the closet....show it to a few select fellow collectors for bragging purposes every once in a while....then sell it in a couple of decades for a handsome profit....and use the proceeds to buy another clone to stick in the closet for a decade or two

Unless one is very wealthy and doesn't desire to sell at a profil...in that case it stays in the closet forever...or in a trophey case.
I seriously doubt if any players buy these things to actually play.

I could be wrong though.
I don't think you're wrong.

A friend that I used to play music with has a couple of 60s-era Fenders in the closet - one thinline Tele and a Strat. Between both guitars they probably have a combined playing time of 1 hour. Both stay in their cases, in a locked closet, along with, I think, a Martin D-45.

I don't know what the point is. :confused:

Back