Reinstall XP without reinstalling software

VirtualSamana

Hey Guys,

Would like to know for future reference if it's possible to reinstall XP without having to reinstall all my software. How would I set up my computer to do this (ie partition my drives, etc.)
Is this even possible?

hmm, i think all you would have to do is just tell XP to re-install when you enter the boot menu, but im not totally sure, would probably act like a roll-back option, except it would just re-install essential OS files, and keep your other ones

hope thats some kind of help

peace
LB

What you could do is put all your OS and Applications (NOT data) on a seperate (physical or logical partition) and then use a program such as Norton Ghost to create an image of that partition (most likely onto a CD-R). Now if your PC/OS Install ever goes south, you just reinstall that partition using the Ghost image you created. You can't just reinstall the OS and have applications that are on another partition work with the new OS install because most applications require registry entries which won't be there on a fresh install.

I didn't really have time to read the replies, so I apologize if what I am going to say has been said already.

If you stick your cd into the drive and click install, but not format, it will reinstall the OS, but keep the software. You would be better off formating your drive and starting again.

Back