Rehearseal Room:One Big PA or several small ones?

Hatem

So once again i run into confusion and rush into my faithful friends over here.

So im helping a friend in building a rehearsal room but a one that we are trying to make it sound real good (there may be some $$$$ around to spend). And we should plan on what on what PA to get , so the question is:

Should we invest in:
1. One big 3-Way PA
2. Or buy a cross-over unit and several small PAs of different sizes and Woofers so we can place them around the room so we would have more control on the sound and and try to avoid sound-reflections and all those stuff ?

Regards

When you say '3-way PA' do you mean 3-way speaker cabs? You dont really need a bunch of diff. size speaker cab's all over the place.. just get a couple big full range mains, a few monitor wedges, and maybe a sub. 3-way cab's are already crossed over about as good as you'll get, certainly a lot better than you'll do yourself trying to mix and match big speakers and little speakers and crossovers.. GAH what a headache that'd be!

Get some room treatment - bass traps and etc. to stop acoustic problems, use an eq, whatever. Why do you think you have to go thru the hassle to get a decent sound? I think if anything, you'd cause more problems than good. I've seen a couple ppl try mixing 15's and 10's in car systems and I've never seen it work out well.. Not sure exactly why, prolly due to diff. frequency responses reinforcing and/or cancelling diff. frequencies.

Why do you think you have to ge o thru the hassle to get a decent sound? .

I wanted to build an even surrounded environment where you get the same acoustical experience "Almost" everywhere in the room , i thought that getting one big 3-way speaker and combining them with other monitor wedges would kinda create uneven surround (the sound will be reinforced from the main speakers direction and weaker fromr the wedges direction). I thought that i need the same sizes of speakers spread everywhere.

But i didn't know as u just mentioned above that mixing different speaker sizes is a hassle and difficult to control , i prefer to spend my time playing than to spend it messing with the crossovers.

Thnx for the advice , that's y i always rush to my friends over here :)

Loud sound coming in all directions is never going to work because of mega feedback problems. Generally you have the grunt of a SR system facing away from you towards the audience - to put yourself in a room (which I'm guessing isn't massive) and point these towards you is going to cause serious havoc with things like drum overheads.

Loud sound coming in all directions is never going to work because of mega feedback problems. Generally you have the grunt of a SR system facing away from you towards the audience - to put yourself in a room (which I'm guessing isn't massive) and point these towards you is going to cause serious havoc with things like drum overheads.

I won't be using the room for recording (i would rarely record but it would be one instrument at a time) so i won't be using any drums overheads. Still vocal mics will create a big feedback.

Back