Regarding lossy formats, website hosting, distortion

I recently made a track including timpani drums.
-The final WAV file sounded fine
-Converted to Mp3 320kpbs, it's fine
-Tried also 128kbps, no problems
(other than those to be expected, of course).

I imported the WAV into audacity, and the timpani (only on the intro) had horrible distortion. Likewise with the MP3 files. Anything played through Audacity. I have no idea why.

I uploaded the WAV and Mp3 files to Myspace and Soundclick. They sound the distortion on the timpani similar to Audacity. I would expect distortion from the compression given by websites, but why is this distortion not audible on the low quality Mp3s playing through Media Player? Why does it occur in Audacity even on the WAV file?

Thanks for any ideas.
You can hear the WAV, on Soundclick, here myspace.com/theetherealentity and soundclick.com/etherealentity

Also, totally forgot to mention:
You may not hear the distortion on your computer!

On the Macs at my uni, playing through audacity is fine. Headphones on the Myspace is also fine. I only hear this distortion at home, playing even the best quality files through Audacity, and the uploads to Myspace or Soundclick.
What's going on here?

Any ideas, anyone?
I know to expect problems with low formats on websites but can't understand why Audacity distorts the timpani too. Or why it's fine on my uni computers even through Myspace.
I don't know how to approach further work until I know what's going on here.

Truly sorry to bump this again - but I really cannot understand what's causing this and feel uncomfortable working with Audacity and formats and uploading etc. until I do!

Back