Regarding HRC 4

kgirl72

Hi guys...

I'm trying to figure out how to send a bun file to my collab partner...I can't email it, it exceeds MY sending file limit. It is sitting at 22 MB zipped at this point. I am not sure how to break it up without using a disc of some sort that is formatted. That would be a lot of floppies...and a zip disc would take the whole thing. I suppose I could fill up most of a zip disc and do it that way, but isn't there something easy that I can do?

Or, could I just make a work file and send the wavs or mp3s separately so my partner can get some stuff done? I want to make sure the measures are set up for her...I've got some ritardando sections and quick tempo changes that I worked on last night, after I figured out how to put those things in my song. I don't know if without the proper files she can even open the work file, or if the tempo stuff will be there. Any ideas? Have I asked this really wrongly? Want this in another forum? I'm guessing others are having this kind of issue. I know some of my questions are Sonar specific...let me know if I should post that part in the Cakewalk board.

Hopefully someone knows what the hell I should do. I'll keep researching it on my end.

Kirstin

Well... you could always mail a CD.

Or you could PM me and I'll let you use my ftp server so your collab partner could download it straight from a hyperlink.

Your choice. :p

WATYF

THANKS WATYF

Well, I actually think I got it, but we'll see if this worked. I used winrar and was able to split it up into smaller segments. I split them up into approximate 3 MB per section. So, my partner says she has winrar, and should be able to open that...

If she wasn't in Canada, and me in the US, snail mail would have been okay...but I bet that would take awhile. Believe me, we need all the time we can get...we're hardly moving at this point. :D

But, thanks for the offer on the ftp. If this doesn't work, I'll PM you.

So, the situation has probably been resolved otherwise. Just a little thought is all that was necessary, I suppose.

THANKS!
Kirstin;)

Ah yes... my other suggestion would have been winrar...

but you're a girl, so I didn't wanna get too "technical".

;)

:D

WATYF

hey long time no hear kgirl

when sluice and i did a couple songs i just downloaded a ftp server and sluice just used an ftp client to snatch the couple hundred something meg file.
I wouldnt try to do that kinda transfer on a dial up connection, though 20 meg shouldnt be too bad.

can you use winrar to separate a Bun? because a bun is a continuous file... it would need to create some sort of markers/management between the files...
Id like to hear if that works

btw..
how did you manage to control the sound in your attic? got the vocals sounding good yet?

Hola Mister Jeff...

How are you? I never did do much in the attic...I discovered that on days where it's 70 degrees outside, it's about 98 or so in my attic. I was working up there one day, and it got harder and harder to breathe as the day went on...so I'm stuck to my living room or bedroom for now...and I wouldn't say they sound great by any means. Just better than average, maybe. Ordered some new stuff that may be here today but more likely tomorrow, like I needed to really spend the dough.

So, are you still up for a Ditw vocal, or have you put that to rest? I can't guarantee any kind of lightning speed...trying to do the HRC4...slow going itself.

I'm so learning what the heck I'm doing as I go along. I mean, I am proud of myself for putting a ritard on the click track in Sonar...woo hoo! Very cool to accomplish that. It sucks trying to not slow down where you know you should, all because of a limitation you know doesn't exist, but you don't feel like messing with. I'm the best rambler ever...

As far as winrar...if you compress them as rar files, and not zip files, which you are given the option, you can split the main file up into any increment size you'd like. I chose 3.33 MB purely at random...I knew I'd be able to email files of that size. So, for a 40 MB original Sonar bun file, it compressed the bun file to 19.15, using the "best" method of compression. Then it split it up (all at the same time) into 6 separate rar files, 5 being 3.33 and the sixth being 2.5. It worked like a charm, I've heard no complaint from my partner, so I assume she was able to reassemble it properly. I'm assuming all one would do there is set up a folder on the desktop (or wherever) and name it what you want, and then just extract each one to that folder. If you start with rar part 01, then I think it will ask you to open 02, 03, 04...much like disc spanning in WinZip.

It was so easy I'm actually pissed at all the thought I tried to put into it, just because I overlooked this program I have on my computer, as I use winzip much more myself. But, boy, the rar is sure useful!!!!

I have some not very good recordings of some snippets of my own stuff...which most people here have probably already heard and are quite sick of...but you can go to check me out at www.nowhereradio.com/kf10126/singles

Very basic, piano only and scratchy vocals (one has not even any lyrics yet, just oohs and ahs for some kind of vocal improv placement.) So, I'm not proud of them, by any means, but hell everyone's heard it. I guess you can too! Funnily, one of them was number one for June by number of unique plays in the urban and r&b genre. I think that's funny, because it was one verse and chorus that I made up on the fly...ha ha. Thank god it's off the chart now, since it's July. :)

Have a great day Jeff!
P.s. I graduated!!! Party.

:D
Kirstin

PS

The beauty of things like ftp and emailing larger files, for me at least, is that at work we have a LAN, so I do have some kind of high speed capability, just not at home.

But, since I live pretty much at work, who cares? I'm not so limited by dial-up since I hardly ever use the internet at home anymore. ;) If I wasn't so out of whack, I might actually feel like forking over some cash for the speed, but why, when all I have to do is wait a measly night's sleep to just do it in the morning? Ha ha.

K.

Wanted to let you know that I got all the files and the drum track is almost done! Sounds cool! I had no problem receiving the split files (have cable internet)

I'm hoping that "your song" will now become "our song", now that I'm able to start my contribution part. he he

I should be able to send you the download url for the drum track in a day or two. Worked 9 hours at the doctor's office today without a single coffee break so I need some unwind time! Tomorrow will pretty much be the same! ....ikes!

Im sending ya a pm Kgirl

Hey wonder if there are any more hot girls doing the challange

I might have to jump in.

We can even practice at my place :eek:

kgirl72...

I just listened to your 2 recordings, and all I can say is.... WOW!!!

You have a beautiful voice, your "no lyric" song was very mesmerizing (sp).... just awesome..... you sound kinda like Olivia Newton John, if she did bluesy jazzy stuff...

very very very nice....:)

Thanks everyone!

Pgirl, it is our song now, sorry to leave you hangin! Got the drum track this morning...tonight I'll stick it in the mix! And see what other fun stuff we can add to it...hee hee. Too bad we can't just talk on the phone!

Kelly--thank you so much! It has been hard to get myself to let anyone listen, so most people have been very positive, and that helps me out more than any of you will ever know. I'm not afraid of negativity so much, just of being open enough to start doing this for anyone other than me...in private!

Jeff, thanks...I'll check my pm. And I'm not hot, I have huge warts all over my face...and I weigh 3000 pounds...kidding! Probably too late to join in on this game (this time).

See y'all in the HRC. Somehow.

Thanks,
Kirstin

Olivia Newton John

Oh yeah, Kelly, when I was in 6th grade, a girlfriend and I worked up a "routine" to "Physical" to do for our friends. Kind of half exercise show, half dancing thing. It was the dorkiest, most ridiculous thing you've ever seen! As was most everything else from that time in the US, I suppose. We thought we were cool though...ha ha.

Just thought I'd share that with you...and I loved Grease, because of HER.

Hee hee.
Kirstin

Olivia Newton John

Oh yeah, Kelly, when I was in 6th grade, a girlfriend and I worked up a "routine" to "Physical" to do for our friends. Kind of half exercise show, half dancing thing. It was the dorkiest, most ridiculous thing you've ever seen! As was most everything else from that time in the US, I suppose. We thought we were cool though...ha ha.

Just thought I'd share that with you...and I loved Grease, because of HER.

Hee hee.
Kirstin

You definitely got nothing to worry about as far as talent goes, I'd kill to have half of what you have....

Cant wait to hear more of your stuff...:)

LOL@physical:D :p

Back