Reflections

zzfdvz

I recently built a room and tuned it up pretty well, but I'm still getting a nasty reflection from the ceiling I think. I soloed out my overheads and the cymbals sound really harsh and very washy. The toms came through pretty nicely, but all the high end is just bad. I'm using SM81s and they were good zijdian and paiste cymbals, so I don't think they were the problem. I currently have no treatment on the ceiling and was wondering if this is the kind of issue for a diffusor, or absorbsion. If it matters, the floor is vinly tile over concrete that is mostly covered by pretty think area rugs. Any advice would be appreciated.

I recently built a room and tuned it up pretty well, but I'm still getting a nasty reflection from the ceiling I think. I soloed out my overheads and the cymbals sound really harsh and very washy. The toms came through pretty nicely, but all the high end is just bad. I'm using SM81s and they were good zijdian and paiste cymbals, so I don't think they were the problem. I currently have no treatment on the ceiling and was wondering if this is the kind of issue for a diffusor, or absorbsion. If it matters, the floor is vinly tile over concrete that is mostly covered by pretty think area rugs. Any advice would be appreciated.

A cloud above your drum area made from 2" OC703 positioned 2" from the ceiling should help tame those nasty reflections. This would be absorption.

I agree with Gorty.
As low as your ceiling is, diffusion would not work well, the scattering effect of the diffusers will mess with your overheads. To use diffusers you would need at least 5 to 6 feet distance from them for your mics.

Hard floors sound good with drums. I'd trap the ceiling and leave hard floors under the snare to reflect the crispness of the snare wires.

Back