Reflection Zones!

Gorty

I have done so much reading, reading etc and have taken in that much info now that I am a little unsure of how to approach the treatment of my reflection zones.

What I have as resources to make my panels is Auralex 2"(I know, I know!.. I have this to enhance visually the traps I make out of my fibreglass..:D ), rigid fibreglass 2", and rigid fibreglass 1" with foil and paper on one side.

I don't want to kill all the mids-highs in my room without addressing the bass.
I know the first reflection zones generally can be treated with mid/high absorption.(Correct?? :confused: )

Question: If I use my Auralex on top of the 1" fibreglass with the foil/paper facing into the room will this be suitable in helping tame the reflections without killing too much of the highs?....This is for my side panels!

On my back wall I am thinking of having 2" Auralex then 1" OC703 with the foil/paper facing into the room and then 2" OC703.

I am adding bass trapping also so my main questions relate to my side panels (first reflections) and the back wall.

Any thoughts on my plans/questions???

Sorry for the rambling! I have so much going on in my head! :D

If you want to preserve the highs then use the foil as the outside layer. Use the Auralex behind the monitors, it looks cool and isn't as important of a treatment area.

You want your reflection points to be absorbant in the mids and highs - that's kind of the point. I wouldn't do the Auralex on top of FSK. Use the 1" with the foil to the wall and the Auralex in front of it. That'll be more broadband and still do the job.

Now, on the rear wall of the room, you're looking for more bottom end control. I'd use 4" of the faced fiberglass (pull the foil off one layer) centered on the rear wall to kill that null.

Behind the monitors is more important than you think depending on how close the monitors are. SBIR can cause serious anomolies in bass response. Again, some 2" fiberglass would likely be an excellent choice here.

Bryan

bpape said:
Now, on the rear wall of the room, you're looking for more bottom end control. I'd use 4" of the faced fiberglass (pull the foil off one layer) centered on the rear wall to kill that null.

Thanks for your reply Bryan.

When you say use 4" of the faced fibreglass (which is 1" thick), how would I layer them?

Starting from the first layer on the wall:
1st layer = foil against the wall.
2nd layer = foil towards the wall.
3rd layer = no backing.
4th layer = foil towards the wall.

Is this what you mean??

I read an arcticle where some bass traps were made using 2" of fibreglass with 2" Auralex on top.

Out of curiosity how would 2" of fibreglass with 2" of Auralex perform as opposed to 4" of fibreglass?

Thanx again Bryan and TexRoadkill for your replies! :)

Gorty said:
Thanks for your reply Bryan.

When you say use 4" of the faced fibreglass (which is 1" thick), how would I layer them?

Starting from the first layer on the wall:
1st layer = foil against the wall.
2nd layer = foil towards the wall.
3rd layer = no backing.
4th layer = foil towards the wall.

Is this what you mean??

I read an arcticle where some bass traps were made using 2" of fibreglass with 2" Auralex on top.

Out of curiosity how would 2" of fibreglass with 2" of Auralex perform as opposed to 4" of fibreglass?

Thanx again Bryan and TexRoadkill for your replies! :)
I'm guessing he was thinking it was 2" faced. I don't thinnk you want any facing sandwiched between any layers. So if it's only 1", put your facing against the wall, and peel the rest.

andyhix said:
I'm guessing he was thinking it was 2" faced. I don't thinnk you want any facing sandwiched between any layers. So if it's only 1", put your facing against the wall, and peel the rest.

.......or just use the 2" rigid fibreglass x 2, which isn't faced.

Right. You don't want layers in the middle. Either just use the unfaced 2" or pull the facing off some of the 1" (which can be tough with the 1")

Bryan

Thanx Bryan and Tex.

So a good move for bass trapping that preserves the mids-highs would be to have at least 4" of the OC703 with the foil/paper membrane facing the room?

I like the idea of being able to increase the low end absorption while preserving some of the mids-highs!

Yes - exactly. Again, there's always a caveat. While the FSK will reflect mids and highs somewhat, it's additional bass absorbtion is not acrosss the board, but generates more of a peak in the absorbtion at a frequency determined by the thickness and stiffness of the material behind it. Look at the numbers on Bob's site and see what I mean.

Bryan

bpape said:
Yes - exactly. Again, there's always a caveat. While the FSK will reflect mids and highs somewhat, it's additional bass absorbtion is not acrosss the board, but generates more of a peak in the absorbtion at a frequency determined by the thickness and stiffness of the material behind it. Look at the numbers on Bob's site and see what I mean.

Bryan

Thanx again Bryan, I think I am going to start knocking up the framework for my back wall this weekend! Time to get the itchy stuff out! :D

Back