reference with phones

bunnyfunk

unfortunatly, I cant afford monitors right now. so here is my thought-I have a pair of yamaha rh5ma headphones that are pretty good. What if I use these to listen to one of my favorite cd's, and then refrence that with my recordings to mix. If they both sound the same in the phones, will they sound the same coming out of speakers? Or, how about playing a reference cd through my stereo speakers, and then a/b reference with my recording? If I get the eq and tones the same as the cd, will they sound the same coming out of another system? any thoughts are appreciated!

Your question is almost impossible to answer. Only YOUR ears will know the differences of the sources at the time of listening.
The only thing I, personally, ever notice as to the difference between mixing with headphones and mixing with the monitors or a stereo system is the amount of bass and the level of the vocals.
The bass usually seems slightly less present and the vocals slightly higher when I mix with the headphones (Sony MDR7506's). But, as the old saying goes... "your mileage may vary".
Bottom line is, this is MY personal experience. Yours will probably differ, I'm sure. The only thing is that it's very time-consuming to get it exactly right. You have to be patient and try-try again, since you don't have the top-notch equipment and experience of a studio pro. Be patient, listen closely, and trust your ears. You'll get it right.

yo Buck- I'ts the same way for me when I mix with head phones- bass disappears and the vocals shoot out.

Hey buck, James,

You guys are absolutely right!! You read my mind. This is why I think there is no substitute for mixing to speakers.

Buck62 & James HE:
Do you mean that you hear more bass with headphones and hence resulting in your mix having little lows ?

bunnyfunk:
I have good headphones and average monitor speakers, but I STILL love to mix using speakers. (mostly for the stereo image)

Hey guys,

If you record, mix to headphones, in playback this is what happens, from my experience:

1.Correct amount of bass, on phones.
1.Not enough bass, on speakers.

2.Correct amount of vocal level, on phones.
2.Too high a vocal level, on speakers.

I'm sure there are more differences, but these two alone are enough to warrent mixing to speakers. I think that speakers are the weak link in just about any system I have heard. So you have to mix to the weak link.

I have a feeling that if you have to mix to phones, you may want to use smaller diphram phones, with less bass and more midrange, this may come closer to paralleling a speakers' sound. After all most listening is going to be done with speakers.

Well, I just typed a long message that contained the meaning of life, unfortuantly, some error accured and now I have forgotten...Anywho--I have two different headphones and a pair of monitors. I prefer, by far, to mix down with monitors, but I still listen through the headphones too. My Pickering CD2's do a good job, but not as good as monitors.
-Nilbog

Back