Reference Monitors as everyday music speakers

TheLemonAid

Hello All,

I just bought my first pair of reference monitors for my humble home-studio. They're the M-Audio BX5. Of course, the main reason why I bought them is for mixing and mastering my music projects and so far I they have been acting very well.

However, there's a problem when I listen to my music library on iTunes through these monitors, as the sometimes the music tends to clip, even when my iTunes equalizer is set to flat.

Is it normal that reference monitors have a tendency to clip when using them just for listening to music?

Edit: I've noticed that the clipping sound usually occurs during vocal parts, it is exceptionally audible on Amy Winehouse songs from "Back to Black". Also, could it maybe be because the monitors are new and that they have to break-in or so?

Thanks for the help!

Have a good day everyone!

Is it normal that reference monitors have a tendency to clip when using them just for listening to music?

I would imagine that a music orientated input is probably the most common thing to be piped to a pair of monitors. You might want to consider that the output from your source is possibly clipping unless you are driving the monitors a very high level. I have a DVD/CD/MP3 player integrated into into my studio set up, and find that my monitors behave just the same as with my own material played on my tracker. The only time I've managed to get the limiters on my monitors to flash is when I play a six string bass through them and use the low string with the level a touch too high. Anything else would need to be very loud to reach that threshold, however I did initially try another set of monitors which were own brand from a large studio equip supplier and found the mids broke up when playing piano through them at reasonable volumes, hence they were dispatched rather hastily. The M Audio gear has a pretty good reputation, hence I suspect it's not the speakers unless you are going beyond a reasonable expectation of what they can cope with volume wise.

Regards

Tim

Turn the volume control on the monitors down when you are hearing the clipping. Is it still clipping? Then its the iTunes software or the recordings themselves. Not clipping, then its the speakers.

Thanks for the help guys!

I've experimented with a number of things to diagnose the issue and I think I succeeded, the outcome is that iTunes is the one messing it all up... sigh apple, I thought you'd do better. But oh well.

Turning down the volume control on the monitors does help to decrease the clipping sound. I've noticed, that if I listen to the same songs through headphones, the clipping is also there, just much less apparent. I guess the monitors somehow help to emphasize it. I also listened to the same songs through youtube (highest quality I could find), and there was no clipping either. So, iTunes you've been found guilty.

Thanks for the help again everyone!

Have a great day!

Cheers!

Perhaps there's an issue with particular songs?
I listen to a lot of music in itunes and my only speakers are Mackie HR624s.
I've never noticed anything odd across a wide range of musical styles.

The only time I hear clipping is if Rick Rubin was involved. :p

Perhaps there's an issue with particular songs?
I listen to a lot of music in itunes and my only speakers are Mackie HR624s.
I've never noticed anything odd across a wide range of musical styles.

The only time I hear clipping is if Rick Rubin was involved. :p

Back