Reel to reel Tapes/saturation/compression

But what's varispeed got to do with getting tape saturation...?
I mean...you're going to choose a set tape speed, tape formulation, calibrate and set the bias and then decide how much to saturate the tape with the input signal.
We're talking about plug-in emulations of tape saturation, right...?...and not of the entire tape deck operation. :)

I've not heard of anyone varying the speed in connection with the saturation they were going for.
For pitch adjustment and other effects...yes.

No, not really. It's pretty clear what that one reference is doing - though he has a Fostex in his room and a girl in the closet

Im not familiar with the other mentioned decks, never used them.
However, (in my opinion) the fostex is a toy.
Not much analog goodness there unless you are looking for that "lo-fi" sound.

I myself still use tape and love it. I don't run with the 'big boys' seeing how i own a lowley Tascam MSR 16, a half inch 16 track.
But I get good results.

Like massive master says with tape, "go big or go home". I think this applies to getting that analog thing we are familiar with from records from the old days.

For me, I use tape simply for the work flow. Thats what I'm used to and like.

I do with an analog board, and outboard gear, get that "analog goodness " but it's nothing like if I had a two inch machine.

But hey, it makes me happy.
:D

Last edited:
Wouldn't Nagra be astute enough to design the recording amps around that circuit ? Or was that a weak spot and a band aid.

Not a weak spot. Nagra intentionally put a pre-emphasis circuit in to reduce distortion compared to other tape decks available at the time. It was the leading edge of technology and they sound wonderful.

But if you are trying to add analog tape distortion that people like the op are trying to get, the Nagra may not be the ideal solution.

I mentioned removing the circuit to have the option of the added distortion for effect while maintaining the portability and solid reliability Nagra provides.

Not a weak spot. Nagra intentionally put a pre-emphasis circuit in to reduce distortion compared to other tape decks available at the time. It was the leading edge of technology and they sound wonderful.

But if you are trying to add analog tape distortion that people like the op are trying to get, the Nagra may not be the ideal solution.

I mentioned removing the circuit to have the option of the added distortion for effect while maintaining the portability and solid reliability Nagra provides.

Ya, one of the unknown Tape Project sluts demos with his Nagra often enough

I would highly recommend a custom restored Crown CX-822 by Chuck in Ocala, Florida. See: http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/C...tereo_tape_recorder_review_audio_magazine.pdf

To my knowledge and experience it is a jewel. He and John Haines restored and customized for me a CX-822 with dbx Type I (when desired) and Crown Power Line Two.
It can be used for what you desire and at the same time semi-portable to a live venue to record with 4 high quality mics.

If I was better at this method of communication I'd have attached a picture.

Just a pedantic point? The technique Nagra use is pre-DISTORTION not pre-emphasis. The latter is a frequency response effect pre-D is deliberate kinking of the Vin/Vout curve opposite to the kink produced by tape distortion.

Dave.

I would highly recommend a custom restored Crown CX-822 by Chuck in Ocala, Florida. See: http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/C...tereo_tape_recorder_review_audio_magazine.pdf

To my knowledge and experience it is a jewel. He and John Haines restored and customized for me a CX-822 with dbx Type I (when desired) and Crown Power Line Two.
It can be used for what you desire and at the same time semi-portable to a live venue to record with 4 high quality mics.

If I was better at this method of communication I'd have attached a picture.

I should have one in my stable, too. But, got f-over . I think the 822 would have a hard time emulating this fostex

You want to get the Slate Virtual Tape Machines. That's what you want to get. Might as well get he rest of their plugins as well. I bought the VTM and the VCC (Virtual Console Collection), and pay for the rest monthly. Worth it, though of course you want to buy them all as soon as you can. Otherwise you're renting, and that's never good.

Back