reel to reel in movies

That's pretty awesome. I saw The Changeling myself not too long ago, and the tape deck has a pretty important part in the plot. The comments on Munich are great. Whoever Spielberg's historical/technical advisor/s on that film were, shame on them! :D

I would also like to ammend the list: Deep Impact, The Fog of War, It Might Get Loud. Just off the top of my head.

Edits:

Dawn of the Dead

The comments on Munich are great. Whoever Spielberg's historical/technical advisor/s on that film were, shame on them! :D

The Dr. Who one was far worse.
Interestingly The Prisoner also used a Vortexion, the only problem being that it was a mono version and they were supposedly using it to simulate traffic outside. (Fun fact - the Vortexion had the L&R amps on either side of the machine, so you could only compare the left and right VU meters if your eyes are on stalks like a snail)

IIRC the one-off drama The Stone Tape used some kind of Ferrograph machine as the instrumentation deck.
Quite far-sighted, that one - 1973 and the premise of the story was that they were trying to find a better recording media. "Tape was good, but it's had its day" were the words they used, I believe.

In a certain webcomic which I'm reluctant to mention, I have tried to draw not only vintage audio equipment, but also vintage computers for that traditional SF feeling. I wasn't too happy with the way the MTR-90 turned out, though.

Back