reducing sound transmission on a drop cieling

spiderman2812

I'm putting a drop cieling in my studio and was planning on using plain old 5/8" thick cieling tiles because of cost. What would be the best way to stop the transmission through the cielings? Ive already drywalled all the way up on a staggered stud wall {2x6 base plate and 2x4 studs}. I've also caulked all th gaps and stuff. The wall is double insulated with owens corning sound batts and vinyl barrier. I was planning on just taking like attic insulation R-25 and unrolling it above the cieling and then building some cieling clouds out of 703. Does that sound like a plan or does anyone have some suggestions remember money is the key word. thanks :confused:

spiderman2812 said:
I'm putting a drop cieling in my studio and was planning on using plain old 5/8" thick cieling tiles because of cost. What would be the best way to stop the transmission through the cielings? Ive already drywalled all the way up on a staggered stud wall {2x6 base plate and 2x4 studs}. I've also caulked all th gaps and stuff. The wall is double insulated with owens corning sound batts and vinyl barrier. I was planning on just taking like attic insulation R-25 and unrolling it above the cieling and then building some cieling clouds out of 703. Does that sound like a plan or does anyone have some suggestions remember money is the key word. thanks :confused:

You need to use the same construction on the ceiling as the walls (although you can hang the drywall on RC), and hang the drop ceiling below that.

You can line the back of the tiles with Sound blocker material. I forget where I got it but it was on a roll and you can cut it into squares.

What I also did is Sheetrock the ceiling above the Tiles. If you want to soundproof, you MUST seal the room completely. I am not sure that it is possible 100% with only a drop ceiling.

so even if i have drywalled the control room walls and iso booth walls all the way up and sealed them i should still drywall the cieling? i just want to keep the transmission from the control room and iso rooms and i really didn't want to drywall the ceilings because my electric panels for the whole house are in my studio. Please tell me there's another way!

spiderman2812 said:
so even if i have drywalled the control room walls and iso booth walls all the way up and sealed them i should still drywall the cieling? i just want to keep the transmission from the control room and iso rooms and i really didn't want to drywall the ceilings because my electric panels for the whole house are in my studio. Please tell me there's another way!

Oh, OK. Sounds a lot like my setup. Anyway, in that case just drywall the ceiling in the iso room, and make sure your wall construction goes all the way up to the floor above rather than just the joist. That should keep the sound in/out of the iso room.

I agree. If that's all you want to accomplish then seal up the Iso room tight. My problem was that the laundry room was above my studio. I needed to keep out the sound from there.

I actuall did th opposite. I did not drywall the Iso since it is under a closet.

hey thanks

thanks I'm not really trying to prevent sound transmission to the upstairs and for all practicality since this is my house the cieling needs to be accessible.Thanks for the info and help.Ithink ill still insulate the hell out of it just to help deaden the noise upstairs. Thanks again :)

spiderman2812 said:
thanks I'm not really trying to prevent sound transmission to the upstairs and for all practicality since this is my house the cieling needs to be accessible.Thanks for the info and help.Ithink ill still insulate the hell out of it just to help deaden the noise upstairs. Thanks again :)

That does work, except on bass frequencies. Just don't let anybody walk upstairs :D

Back