Red5 RV6

I've just ordered one with the small change I found down the back of my sofa. :)
I'll let you know how it goes, but from the reviews I've read I'm expecting good things from this mic (price considered of course).

I don't see any reason to doubt the quality of the red5 mics, they seem a good alternative to the usual suspects like shure, Rode etc. Until they get a good reputation though people are just going to have to try them for themselves and see whether or not they like them. Personally, if I like this RV6 then I'm probably going to get their drum-mic set and a couple of their dynamics as well, because as I've said I see no reason to fault their products quality or their reliability, even if the mics are Chinese made.

I'll letya know how it sounds when it arrives.
later.

RV6 is with 1" capsule while Kel Audio HM-1 is with 1/2" capsule.
The freq. curves show that RV6 might be brighter but not a lot?
I would like hear them both to compare.
Matti

Attachments

• KEL HM-1.bmp
    18.6 KB · Views: 192
  • RV6_3.bmp
    46 KB · Views: 195
:( No. Still not turned up. I sent them a friendly email, hopefully they'll get right on it.

I could deal with sloppy delivery if I didn't need this mic so urgently. I gots location recording to be recorded!

I just remembered they had new stock coming when I asked them for
some information. Should be right now they have them ready for delivery?
Regards
Matti

Hi Matti, it took two weeks but it finally arrived yesterday. They included a free mic cable because of the delay (it's a nice cable too, very chunky, gold-plated, smells delicious.... yes ok, I might have a small fetish for sniffing new mic cables, is that not a normal thing to do?).

First impression on the quality of the overall package was that nothing feels cheap or flimsy, the case is strong enough to withstand being stomped on several times :p (well it's important for me!), shockmount is sturdy and supports the mic well. The mic itself is a hefty little bugger given its size.

About the sound quality, I haven't had time to record it properly yet. I'm also not the best person to test it because I have nothing to benchmark it against, and it is currently running through a Behringer mixer so I can't really tell what it's capable of. Give me a week or two to get it into a proper studio.

From messing around with it for a while, it has a nice n loud output, no audible noise or defects. The sound is as detailed as you'd expect, it picks up absofrigginlutely everything in and around the vicinity. Frequency wise it's not as hyped in the highend as i thought it might be, it certainly did a nice job of capturing the details and the warmth of my acoustic guitar.

I may do some test recordings this weekend, drums/acoustic guit/whatever. If I do then I'll post them. They won't be the cleanest recordings ever though due to the fact that my mixer is shit and room acoustics are not ideal.

So far, I'm liking it.

It's obviously gonna be AWESOME because, as everyone knows, "Red 5" is Luke Skywalker's callsign during the attack on the Death Star. Luke Skywalker wins = Red 5 wins.

Back