Red Rocket from San Jose, CA

jamiecer

Hey, This is my first time back in a while. After a back operation and major kitchen renovation, I've been let back into my home studio. This is the first song I've mixed in 6 mos. Actually, the band did most of the recording in San Jose in Logic5 then came down to LA, where we O/D guitars (electric & acoustic) and vocals using ProTools. The band is called red rocket and they are from San Jose, CA. In January, I'll be going up north to record a full lentgh CD with the guys. It's looking like we'll be recording in what was once the stockade at Fort Ord. Pretty cool.

Check out the song and give me some feedback please.

Thanks,

Jamie

http://homepage.mac.com/jamiecer/.cv/jamiecer/Public/Formulav1.0.mp3-binhex.hqx

Did It Suck That Bad?

I think I have become a little embarassed. I guess the people who listened felt that it was so bad they didn't want to hurt my feelings by giving me some negative feedback. I'm 30, I can take some abuse. I was just looking for anything. Positive or negative.

It's probably the fact that nobody except those with a mac can listen....

hqx binhex files aren't widely supported.... Post a link to a 'real' mp3, you'll have a better chance!

W.

oops!

I think this link should work.
people.we.mediaone.net/jamiecer/Formulav1.0.mp3
Thanks for giving it a shot.

j

I am really liking it a lot right now. I cant comment on the mix since I am listening on phones. THe volume sounds a bit low though.

I liked it too. I thought the vocals sounded really nice - like the singers voice a lot too. The mix has a lot of air to it. I keep feeling like there is something missing though - needs something to bring cohesion. The vocal totally carries the song without much help from the instrumentation. Everything else, even the drums at times, feel like they are there just for decoration.

Why'd you have to go to LA to record guitars? There are so many great Pro Tools studios up here in NoCal!

This is a great song, and the mix sounds great. I like it a lot, and I listen to a lot of music like this. The voice is very They Might Be Giants, but the music is a lot more dense and interesting, and the feel is very Modest Mouse-ish. The only thing I would do is shorten the all-vocal outro to maybe "I look but it's complicated."

Please tell me when you have more stuff available.

SoCal is where it is at!

Well at least my studio. Red Rocket is from up north, they just come down to LA to overdub and mix at my place. The mix needs some work, but since I haven't worked on any music in quite a few months I thought I'd post the mix for some opinions other than my dog's. The advice she gives is never that clear, and she doesn't like to repeat it too often;)

Thanks for listening

j

Work in progress

Here is v1.1
I shortened the ending like Charger suggested. I also made a few changes in the choruses. The intent was to add a bit of a dynamic between the verse and chorus. CJ, I put a limiter across the mixbus along with the pultec plug-in. The song is now hitting 0 dbfs regularly.

Tell me if it works.

people.we.mediaone.net/jamiecer/formulav1.1.MP3

Again thanks for the input.

j.

Here's the link, I'm listening.

I still like it, and the choruses do sound somehow better...

...but I liked the original ending better. I wasn't suggesting that you get rid of the solo vocal part, or do a fadeout, but rather that you let the song keep going with everything in, and then just cut everything but the vocal lines at that last couplet "I know it's overrated, I'd leave but it's complicated." That's like the big pretty part of the song, and it's so nice to let it roll for a while.

I wouldn't worry about the volume level, it has plenty of volume for an unmastered track.

Last edited:
Is this what you mean.

Charger. I did an edit piece for the end of the mix. Is this what you were talking about.

Thanks for all the input, I think the mix has come along way.

j

That's really close to what I hear in my head. And by the way, this song is so stuck in my head, that I'm singing it all the time.

Here's what I mean...

Basically, do the cut that you do, but do it 4 bars later (after "I'll get along" and before "I know it's overrated"). And don't fade out the drums prematurely! Also, I'd bring the guitar mix up just little over the outro, they sound a little bit low. That part is sooooooo juicy, and you want to show off the interplay between the guitars there a little more.

Back