Red Mic Type B -- opinions?

Giganova

gimmi your mic!
Hey guys --

I consider getting a new mic, probaby with a M7 capsule (I only have a Gefell M930 right now -- nothing else). Have you checked out the Red Type B vintage mic body? It has all discrete circuitry, rather inpressive specs, and best of all: it has a universal bajonette which can hold either the original Neumann/Gefell M7 (or M8, M9) capsules, or 9 different vintage-style mic capsules from Red/Blue Microphones.

The Red mic body costs $450.- factory direct, and an original M7 capsule would be less than $400 or so.
That means that you could "build" a mic with an original M7 capsule for less than $900! Seems much more cost effective than getting a Neumann U47/48/M49/UM57 (which all have variations of the M7 capsule).

What do you guys think? Would an original Neumann/Gefell CMV-563 body plus M7 capsule sound better than the Red mic? (would be much more expensive, though, more like $1500 for the body plus capsule).

Anyway, just a few thoughts on this coz the Red mic body seems a viable and cost effective option to get a "big" sound.

Reactions: NL5
i hope someone out there has used this thing and will reply here. ive been looking at thes mic alot recently.

I'm assuming you would get a used M7 capsule somewhere, which certainly can be done. Mircotech Gefell only sells M7 capsules to owners of MG mics or capsules, IIRC.

I have a M7 capsule in a MG UMT800 mic. It's great, but it's very different from a U47, etc. So, I don't know what the Red mic amp plus a M7 capsule would sound like.

Reactions: NL5
sdelsolray said:
I'm assuming you would get a used M7 capsule somewhere, which certainly can be done.
Correct. Getting an M7 capsule should be easy. There's plenty on Ebay and in vintage mic stores; they are selling for around $350. Alternatively, I could get one from Gefell (since I am a Gefell customer already).

Even Klaus Heyne said "All M7 PVC capsules made by Gefell are uniformly superb".

It is a great mic! Very clean, quiet and smooth.

The Red Lollipop capsule is OK. The presence is awesome and the highs are there, but not in any way harsh. I am definately saving up for an R8 capsule which is voiced like the U47. This is a mic that does not get in the way of the capsule's sound at all. I plan on getting the R0 capsule as well.

I hope to have some tracks finished in a few weeks that I can post. It'll only be with the standard capsule, though.

Love my Red type B. Sounds great with a Millenia TD-1 on Vocals. Somewhat bright and present but not annoying. Classy, I'd say :-)

Back