Red Hot Chili Peppers

tylerxxx

I'm sure there are tons of threads like this, but oh well.

I've just recently started listening to bands like this, and other random "jam" bands... and I'm wondering about the guitar tone.

RHCP's cd 'blood sugar sex magik'... I love that guitar tone. What kind of setup do they have? What sort of effects(i'm generally just a straight forward metal player, so i'm not that smart with effects yet) do they use?

Thanks in advance.

tylerxxx said:
I'm sure there are tons of threads like this, but oh well.

I've just recently started listening to bands like this, and other random "jam" bands... and I'm wondering about the guitar tone.

RHCP's cd 'blood sugar sex magik'... I love that guitar tone. What kind of setup do they have? What sort of effects(i'm generally just a straight forward metal player, so i'm not that smart with effects yet) do they use?

Thanks in advance.

Well here's the one Navarro used.
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/253/

And this is Frusciante's setup:
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/576/

Great site, guitargeek, innit?

I wish they had Frusciante's new rig. I saw them 5 years ago [W/FooFighters hell yeah a show!] and yeah that was all he had. Last tour though he had one board with that rig on it and another pedalboard measuring nearly 2 feet by 3 feet loaded up. We were only 10 rows back but couldn't see over the stage's edge to tell exactly what was on it, even walked up to get a closer look before the show but security had fences up :( Tone was mostly the same between the shows though so im not sure what was on that massive new patio of a pedal board or how much it got used.

I've gotten very similar sounds to BSSM-era Frusciante on record with my very battered USA Strat, mainly using the neck pickup and strung with 10-46s, into a mic'd up Ashdown tube combo. For the rhythm sound, have the tone just on the edge of breakup, very little reverb, and sometimes a dash of gentle chorus. Pick or strum quite close to the neck, perhaps between mid and neck pickups area.

Works for me, anyway.

HTH.

Frusciante post strung out heroin addict = post strung out heroin addict
Frusciante on the verge of heroin addiction = non-regurgitated guitar riffs and good stuff.....

personally I'm a bit tired of songs about california, sex in california, drugs in california, and the same thing after 2 albums

According to my Guitar Technique magazine which has a feature on them, Frusicante uses a wide variety of gear, lisetd below:
vintage Strats
Teles
Gretsch Whie Falcon
Fender Showman Heads
JCM 900 Marhsall 4x12 cabs
Immense pedal board - Boss Chorus Ensemble, Ibanez WH10 Wah, Boss FZ3 fuzz, MXR Phase 90 reissue, Boss DS2 Turbo Distortion, various Electro Harmonix Pedals

Thats only some of his gear that they listed, hope I helped!

Back