Recycling vinyl?

Roozter

Would it be possible to turn old vinyl in to new blanks to be lathed, or could it be re-pressed? Any chance at all of using worn out vinyl to make new records?

Vinyl is easy-ably recycled. But it wouldnt be like you could iron an existing album out flat and recut new tracks on it. It would have to be melted down and reformed for use, usualy as pellets for injection molding uses..

Back in the day some of us discovered "virgin vinyl" pressings, often imports. They sounded better than the recycled vinyl which seemed to be the norm for US pressings. I had a Japanese pressing of Led Zeppelin's first release. It sounded awesome and the lyric sheet was hilarious.

I only ask due to the need for our label to be completely green. Instead of buying new vinyl, were taking in the local communities old worn out records, melting them down, and re-making brand new original local music on them in our press.

How would one dye recycled vinyl if a customer wanted say red or green or even transparent?

How would one dye recycled vinyl if a customer wanted say red or green or even transparent?

I don't know but it sounds like the kind of thing that requires water, chemicals and energy to remove the black tinting. It may be greener to use virgin vinyl.

Back