RECOVERING ERASED DATA!!!

Tweedville

Okay,first the confession....I accidently erased a song on my VS-880 that I desperately need back.I am using the Orb external SCSI by Castlewood.I'm told by some friends who are in the know computer-wise that the data for the song is still on the Orb disc,but the first "character" that the VS880 uses for recognizing the song has been erased,and if that can be restored,then I'm good to go.They mentioned that sometimes you can "anti-delete" data with a computer.I've already called Roland,and they said only the guys in Japan who design the stuff would know the characters
that I need......any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,Steve

I have deleted extremely important financial data ( over a year of all of a restaurants financial records) off of someone elses computer before and almost pissed my pants.
Luckily I was able to recover it using ms-dos.

The real version of MS-DOS (I do not remember the version)came with an undel or undelete command. You need to know the directory the file was in and the first character that was in the name of the file. I was able to retrieve the deleted data in a few minutes and saved my butt.

I understand that you were using some standalone digital recorder which I have absolutely no experience with but you also said you were using an orb drive. First off stop using that thing!!! The drive is fine but if you record something else on it you are risking overwriting the deleted data.

Next hook that puppy up to a computer somewhere. I know that almost no one has a full version of dos on their computer anymore (the windows version wont work). But, I know that norton (norton.com) has a program that will undelete your file and you can also check in the classifieds in the back of a Computer Shopper magazine. There is usually a company that specializes in data recovery.

Best Wishes - Unior

Back