Recordings with little or no compression

Although I appreciate the usefulness of compression, I'm wondering what examples there are of tracks which exemplify little or no compression being used and which you nevertheless consider pleasing to your ears.

They could be stripped down acoustic songs or even big band arrangements.

I'm thinking of latter day recordings mainly, where you would expect it to be used.

Although I appreciate the usefulness of compression, I'm wondering what examples there are of tracks which exemplify little or no compression being used and which you nevertheless consider pleasing to your ears.

They could be stripped down acoustic songs or even big band arrangements.

I'm thinking of latter day recordings mainly, where you would expect it to be used.

It's hard to tell because compression used properly sounds good. Compression is usually only obvious and ugly sounding when it's used badly or used as a deliberate effect.

.... tracks which exemplify little or no compression being used and which you nevertheless consider pleasing to your ears.

You're kinda making the assumption that little or no comporession usually doesn't sound pleasing....???

That's just it....your again makimng assumptions that comporession is the required soup du jour in anyting recorded these days.

I hardly ever use compression or if I do, it's just to kiss the tracks....and that includes both going in and during mixing.
Mostly I might use it on some drum tracks, and I'll use it mildly on my console mix bus....but you would not be able to hear obvious comporession.

Look to recording during the 70's and early 80's. The SSL 4000 really changed things because it had a compressor on every channel. Prior to that ( early 80's) most studios had only a handful of compressors that could be used during recording and mixing. Typical was vocal and bass compression, some on guitars as well.
Brad

Unless I'm using it for effect. I compression sparingly and transparently.
I agree with MJB I use old school volume automation rather than taking the "easier to let the compressor" route.
It's hard to use a compressor for a start most do it by eye rather than by ear.
Close your eyes and use your ears is my advice.
My two pence for what it's worth.

I find myself using automation a lot to control dynamics but a high quality compressor can add character so I always have it in the chain.

Back