recording with US1800

Mr. C

Received my US1800, loaded software, and then went to try to record and ???? There is no visible indication when I start recording. When I play it back nothing. So I don't think it is recording but don't know why. Even on the meter for the track there is no movement. I'm pretty sure that everything is set up right, I just think I'm probably not doing something right in Cubase. Can anyone help me with this? I'm not that great with figuring things out like this so if you think you can help try to be detailed please. Thanks!

You must first select the 1800 in Cubase. Devices>Device Setup...VST Audio System. In the drop down menu at top, select 'US-1800'. While on that page, check the 'Release Driver' box. This will allow the 1800 to play WMP, Youtube, whatever, while Cubase is open.

Now, go to Devices>VST Connections (F4 shortcut). Add a mono input bus. You will need to create a input bus for each input needed from the 1800. For each input bus created, you will left click on the 'Device Port' column (highlighted in yellow), and select the input channel of the 1800 that you wish to use. Leave the default Stereo output bus.

Now, create a track to record to. Project>Add Track>Audio>Mono.

In the 'Inspector' window at the left of the main project window, look for a symbol that looks kinda like this: >] SEE ATTACHMENT

This is where you select the bus you created in VST Connections. You will change this on each track that is using a different input channel on the 1800.

If you don't see the symbol, click on the track name at the top of the Inspector window to pull to the main Inspector screen.

You will need to also toggle the monitor button on the track to hear the input (it looks like a side view of a speaker). Toggle it back off to hear playback.
--to make this toggle automatically; File>Preferences>VST. In the Auto Monitoring drop down menu, select Tapemachine Style.

Let me know if this gets you up and running.

:)

Attachments

• Cubase Track Input.jpg
    Cubase Track Input.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hey Jimmy, just got to this tonight. Too busy last night. So I went through everything you said to do, although I missed the "create a track..." line three times!! Still nothing recording :( Now just to be sure about one thing, where it says "mono in" in the Inspector window; when I click on that the choices are: No Bus, Stereo In, Mono In, Mono In 2. I assume that's because I chose just two mono input buses in VST Connections. So I have it selected for Mono In, not Mono In 2. I'm just pluggin my guitar into the guitar input on the 1800 (#9). I'm disappointed, but I'm sure you can help me with this, so what next?

Ok, went back to device setup menu. Except for the first 4 inputs, all the other inputs say "Inactive" under the "state" column. Does the "input bus" number line up with each input on the 1800? So, for example since I have my guitar plugged into #9 input on the 1800 do I have to add an "input bus 9"? Probably stupid question one way or the other, but just don't understand how these things communicate with each other ( and in some ways don't want to know, just want to record!).

Sorry, I forget sometimes that things are not as obvious after using software for some time...

They will be inactive, until you activate them. In VST Connections, after you Add the Bus, you select which input channel on the 1800 you want that bus to feed from. In your case, 'Mono In', you should select 'US-1800 instrument in 9' as the source. Left click on the yellow 'Device Port' column. This where you select it.

:)

I just edited my instructions, so don't think you missed it. I just left it out.

You should be good to go now. :)

Okay, so I would have to activate the #9 input in the list? I figured that cause I plugged a mic into one of the inputs that said active and got a visual that it was recording. Unfortunately couldn't hear it on the playback. I did click on the speaker symbol. So if you can let me know what I'm missing on that it would be helpful. Probably won't get back to it tonight, but will take some time tomorrow night to try the guitar. Wish there was more time to play with all this stuff! Thanks for all your help.

If you couldn't hear the playback, then you may be connected incorrectly, or setup wrong 'from' the 1800. On the back of the unit; 1 and 2 out, are left and right of the stereo out from Cubase by default. CONNECT MONITORS TO THESE OUTPUTS. Or, if using headphones, turn that 'MIX' knob on the front of the 1800 fully clockwise.

There is also a 'Monitor out'. This is exactly the same as the headphone 'MIX' out. It is output 1 and 2, mixed with the direct input signal into the 1800. The 'MIX' knob on the front of the unit, is how you would adjust between input signals to the 1800, and the return signal from computer (Cubase). You only would use this for direct monitoring, which I myself have never found a good reason to use. This is another topic for later.

^This may very well be your issue. For most purposes, turn that 'MIX' knob fully clockwise.

Okay, so I would have to activate the #9 input in the list? I figured that cause I plugged a mic into one of the inputs that said active and got a visual that it was recording. Unfortunately couldn't hear it on the playback. I did click on the speaker symbol. So if you can let me know what I'm missing on that it would be helpful. Probably won't get back to it tonight, but will take some time tomorrow night to try the guitar. Wish there was more time to play with all this stuff! Thanks for all your help.

Question: do you get signal through your interface already? How are you monitoring this? If you expect to hear from speakers connected to your computer, you will not have any luck. The 1800 completely replaces any audio processing that your computer does. You should have nothing connected to your PC, other than the interface itself. Well, mouse, keyboard, etc...

You now must consider the 1800 as the 'only' audio device, and you will only listen through it's outputs.

Thanks Jimmy! Got it now. I've been monitoring with headphone since I don't have any powered speakers. Will have to figure out how to make that work with my mixer/amp. The "mix" knob was off. All of the knobs were set to 0 so I have to remember to check them. So anyways everything checks out. Really appreciate your help on this and really happy that I bought it. Now I'll just have to continue to learn how to use it. If I screw something up at least I know where to come to find some help! Thanks again.

No problem man. Just come back if you hit a wall somewhere. I still have bruises on my forehead from when I fist started learning Cubase. :)

Back