Recording with the zoom h4n

dumbass

I am looking to record with the zoom h4n. I need to get a microphone, and recording software as well, and am basically clueless as to what to do. I've been playing for years and am capable but when it comes to recording I seem to hit a brick wall. I am on a tight budget and would just like to get this album I've had ready for too long, recorded. I've heard that you can get a professional sounding recording with this thing, so if I could get some help with a good mic and the recording software I could get this album going.

Is Audacity any good? What mics and recording software are of the best quality for a low price? And, does anybody out there have a professional sounding recording made with the h4n?

Ok,
you need some kind of editing and mixing program if you want to record everything with the Zoom.
Low budget? No problem - have a look at Reaper, for $60, which is highly recommended just about everywhere on this forum if you look around.
The zoom has mics built into it if you really don't want to spend any money, but if you want to use a separate mic (or mics) then what you get depends on what you are recording and what you budget exactly is.

You might find this article on which microphones to invest in helpful.
The Shure SM57 dynamic mic has always been a home-recording favourite and should cost about £85. A brilliant low-budget all-rounder, great for electric guitars, vocals, snare drums etc.
If you want a condenser mic then a Rode NT1-A is a good option for about £150.
I would normally recommend something like the beringer c-2's as you can get a pair stupidly cheap, but the zoom already has a pair of small diaphragm condenser mics built in, so you can easily use those instead for recording in stereo - acoustic guitar, piano etc.

To be honest, you could do much worse than just getting Reaper and sticking with the two mics on the Zoom.

Hope some of that helps.

As regards what makes a "professional sounding recording" well... some of us have been trying for years ;)

I just posted a track using the h4n and just the audacity software. I had fun with it. I think it's fine for an amature like me. Have fun!
Also I found a lot of helpful vids on youtube for the recorder and the audacity software

Isn't the frequency of a professional recording 44.1khz? I think the h4n records at that.

It was suggested to me that the built-in mics would be used for a lo-fi sound, so not recommendable for a professional sound, whereas if you used a condenser mic then it would make a world of difference. This is kinda confusing because if the h4n records at 44.1khz then I could just use the built-in mics(which are condenser mics) couldn't I?

Do you think Reaper is better than Audacity? Is Audacity easily accessible crap?

Do you think the SM57 would be better than the built-in mics? I'm going to be recording all acoustic, should I record in stereo or is mtr mode just as good?

Hi Dumbass,
I would suggest starting small and learn how to use the H4n and whatever DAW you do go for, be it Audacity or Reaper or whatever. Then as you try things you will have more questions which you can ask here. Don't be afraid to ask, we all love recording and will be more than happy to answer your noob questions, because somebody had to answer our noob questions too, and in my case they still do.

Back