recording with effects or without?

do you record with effects or without

• Yes, I record with effects already on the track (like reverb, compression, distortion etc)

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • No, I record with no effects on the track

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • I do both

Votes: 23 45.1%

• Total voters

tojo

you guys might get on my case for repeating a thread that's probably already done, but I fail when using the search function (it's like you can't search phrases even when you put them in " " )

so if there is already another one of these threads direct me towards and don't bother replying.

Ok first time explaining this didn't go so well. I think I mean to ask, who uses software monitoring with effects or who uses hardware monitoring.

Last edited:
When you make a headphone mix, those effects aren't being printed anyway. Adding some verb or what not to keep the vocalist happy isn't the same as tracking through a reverb...

I meant do you add efx or not. here's what i do:

1. mic -> mixer
2. Mixer-> line in on macbook
3. headphone jack -> aux in

this way I can here everything through the mixer without latency. I just can't turn on software monitoring because it will give me latency. I guess I mean do you track with software monitoring (so you the vox for example can hear what they're voice will sound like with a plugin on it

or just hardware monitor.

As in 'monitor tracking with software or direct with hardware effects?
One of the main reasons to have mixer in an otherwise direct injection/virtual ITB 'studio, although now a lot of systems have 'within-the converter (don't have to send back and forth from the DAW) zero latency monitor mixer.

My system grew up' with the mixer so still use it (and a little LXP1 for head phone verb. Plus all the other handy routing things.

As far as compression or other effects, except for things like guitar where it would come from the player's amp and tone set-up, I wouldn't put it on if I wasn't tracking it -very little up side, even possibly downsides.
Vocal for example. Compression could tend to let them think their getting by ok with even less mic technique than is what's really happening, not to mention in some cases making it harder for them to hear themselves well.

Another exception- with a full band session phone' mixes are tough- low cuts and eq, me doing live adjustment on the fly' to make it all fit in the phones, at the same time, while watching tracking levels... mixer again thank you. ;)

Yeah, specific, clear let alone compact' can be tough 'specially in 'technical'. :)
Hey, they let you edit' posts. Never tried it on a poll' but you might be able to go in and re-word it.

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I rarely record effects to tape on tracking. However, there are some times when it is necessary. For instance, a vocalist who is all over the place, and has had little experience in recording, I usually put a little compression/limiting on the track to keep the guy from spiking the meters. I will do the same for a bass player who is a little inconsistent. Other than that no effects to tape on tracking.

i m eant vst effects or au or whatever... i mean plugins... so you turn on monitoring so you can hear the effect and record (usually theres latency) and you can remove it later... and you'll have the dry sound again and you can mess with it. Or is that what you are talking a bout

:s gah

I am talking about both. VST effects on tracks are basically inserts, they can be turned on and off as you alluded to. However if you put the inserts on your input channel, they are recorded with the effect and it cant be changed. As far as using inserts on channels and monitoring through the software, I do that pretty frequently. I like a little reverb on the drums when I record them, but usually tone it down quite a bit when mixing. I hope that helps.

yes danwarden that's pretty much what i was trying to say, i was more inclined towards the software aspect of it but i'm glad you brought up the other side. To me it seems that having an insert on your actual input (like a hardware reverb) seems to risky because you can never go back on what you get.

Yep I think perhaps a little compression/limiting is good for wildly variant sources, and personally I sneak in a tiny bit of reverb on my DI'd guitar (from either a rockman sustainor or ahem beringer tube amp emulator stompbox (which ain't too terrible for rough ideas)) to make them sound realistic. Not too much though!

I think if it helps get the player/person being recording get in a better mindspace; then that's a good thing. If you're worried about not being able to change it later, don't record the effect, but do send it to the monitors/headphones so the player can hear it and get "in the zone"...

But yeah putting effects to tape is risky because you can't go back. You may argue you don't need to go back if you get it right in the first place; which is a fair call too.

I do both, Depends on what I am recording and how solid the vision of the sound is. If the band has played the song so it is second nature, they know exactly how it should sound. If no vision is there, record dry.

I never monitor plugins while I record. I actually never have any plugins on my tracks when I record. I don't even mess with input monitoring......... mixer all the way.
I may record with effects, maybe a bit of compression on vox or bass, maybe a touch of eq, but only hardware stuff and only very minimal.

I do both. I don't subscribe to the "everything clean and then all the effects in the mix" - that's often a euphamism for "uncommitted", in which case pressing the Record button is probably premature.

The way I decide whether to track with effects is as follows:

Firstly, Is the effect an intrinsic part of the sound? e.g. The Edge's delay effects. If yes, I record the whole thing, it's done. If there is doubt or there might need to be fine adjustment in the mix, I'll do a split and record a safety "clean track" but that is just a backup, not the version intended to be in the mix. This avoids the situation where it sounded great at the time but somehow isn't happening in the mix. Or worse - the effect unit is not available at mixdown. Note that this includes EQ on those occasions where it is as much part of the sound as the tone controls on a guitar amp.

Secondly, does it protect the recording? e.g. a limiter to prevent overs. Also basic EQ I know will be required in the mix e.g. high-pass filtering or the EQ I always apply to my sax to tone down that annoying lower-mid honk.

Note that I always run a test to hear what's coming back off disk/tape before committing to serious takes.

Key benefits: Changes made before you press record are quicker and easier than trying to fix them later on. Also, I think too much digital processing affects the sound.

I like to record dry and accurate, add the toys in the mix, for me this gives you more flexibility. Once something is recorded you can't take it away if it isn't working in the mix.

Back