Recording with decent quality on my PC?

Benjo

howdy,
i am definitely a newbie to recording, but i was thinking about getting a inexpensive home computer recording setup that i could record onto with pretty decent quality. what equipment would you suggest buying? I'm thinking about a mic (duh) and a preamp right now. is there a decent condenser mic for under $100 or a decent preamp for under $100?
thanks!
BEN

o yeah, i forgot to say, i'll be using it mainly for banjo with some guitar and mandolin and occasionally vocals
BEN

I just went out and bought an M-Audio Audio Buddy preamp for $50....it usually goes for around $60-$80.....it has phantom power, and output gain....all I think you'd need in a mic pre. I haven't noticed any problems with it yet, so I would say yes to the decent preamp for under $100. There are a few decent condenser mics for at or around $100, and I'm sure you can find one that you'll be pleased with for around that price. I'd suggest shopping for mics and pres online and finding some reviews. I don't really know prices of condensers well enough to point you in any direction, but I'm sure you'll find something. I assume you have a decent soundcard and recording software on your computer....

check into the studio projects B 1 mic.. i think it runs about 90 bucks new...Alot off ppl on this site speakk good of it... also.. maybe look into the ART pres.. they have some that are under 100.. i havent ever used one tho... or get a few more bu0cks and get a M audio Dmp3 mic preamp.. tis is also spoken well of on this site by almost everyone.

best thing to do is shop around. I got an mxl v67 condenser + art tube opl studio preamp for $99 @ a samash store near me. I also have a sp b1 and it is great! definitely exceeded my expectations for $80 mic. (sweetwater.com has free shipping) initially i ran the output of the preamp to the line input of my crappy original sound card, and the quality was great for what it was.

i like my setup. digidesign digi 002 rack, couple condensors, lots of dynamic mics. get yourself some quality cables, and if you want to get a good good good sound, play with it. a lot. throw some sound deadening foam on the walls too.

If you are only going to buy one mic I would suggest a Shure SM 57. It can be used for many things and it will always hold it's value. You cannot go wrong with the 57 as your first mic. After you have that I would suggest looking at something like an Oktava 012 or a Studio projects B1 for a decent budget mic that will sound different from the 57.

Back