Recording with a metronome, and without

It doesn't matter what the time signature is, if you don't accent the one. Just make them all the same.

In Cubase, you can set lots of different time signatures ~ if they exist. I try ridiculous ones for fun, like 19/7 just to see what they sound like. The metronome corrects it to the nearest existing one.
On one song I did, I wanted to have this esoteric Indianesque section so I set the metronome at something like 17/8 or whatever it was and it was so weird catching the accents. But eventually, I was able to work out the beginnings and endings. What I did was record a 5 minute stretch of the metronome on one track and I played tablas to it. Then I played a different percussive figure {not listening to the tablas, just the click} on something else. I did this 4 times so I had 4 different percussion tracks all playing to this unusual time signature. The random points of meeting created this beautiful swirling pattern and it all fitted. Then taking the initial tablas, I was able to come up with a melody on sitar, a harmony on dilruba and a tampura drone. I thought it sounded pretty neat. By the time I'd finished, it didn't sound like a weird time signature anymore !

If you go here, scroll to the 6th plug in {called "Tempo tap"}. Apparently, it's a click with a few good reports.
I've never used it so if it's rubbish, you never heard this from me.......

I'd love to hear this song. can you upload it please man?

Back