recording with a laptop

Elmo89m

I plan on moving to record with a laptop instead of my desktop using delta1010LT.

Will getting a firewire a/d converter to use with my preamp be enough or do i need something else as well.

also. what firewire unit would have as good sound quality as the delta1010LT for no more that 400 used.

here is a list of possible options. which would be best?
Alesis AI3
MOTU Ultralite
M-AUdio Firewire 1814
Edirol FA101
Echo Audiofire 8
Tascam FW1804
I would also consider the Firepod if it is clearly and significantly better than all of these. But are these better than the 1010LT?

NOTE: i dont need the preamps in any of the units so if they are more expensive just because of the preamps and not because of good conversion quality i wouldn't want that unit.
THank YOu

You will probably need an external firewire drive (most laptop internal drives are slow and, as with desktops, it's a better practice to have OS&apps on one drive and stream audio to a secondary drive that won't be interrupted during the recording process.)

I use a Motu828mkII and GlyphGT050 firewire drive with my XP laptop with ZERO problems....

as far as an external HD goes...I picked up a 7200rpm 100gb laptop HD from newegg for about $170 and an external enclosure for $20. This is a little cheaper route than Glyph and is quite durable being a laptop HD. I won't open the interface can o' worms. Just my thoughts on the HD.

Jonathan

haha yeah, im hoping someone will tell me something about these interfaces. I looked them up all over but what i really need to know is how they compare conversion wise only, to eachother, and to my 1010LT

Back