Recording with a guitar sim, then playing it through an amp

saads

Baka
I like the versatility of a guitar sim, you have the option of choosing from tons of different effects. Heck, you can even make your own. I think it's safe to say gone are the days when distortion from anything other than pedals or amplifiers sounded like crap. There are some pretty decent sims and guitar processors out there.
That said, there's something about the tone of a guitar recorded through a mic'd amp that is so awesome. My question is, if I record clean guitars directly into my soundcard, slap on an effect with Guitar Rig, run that through my amp, and mic that amp; will it be worth it? Are results significantly different ? Do any of you guys do that?

I like the versatility of a guitar sim, you have the option of choosing from tons of different effects. Heck, you can even make your own. I think it's safe to say gone are the days when distortion from anything other than pedals or amplifiers sounded like crap. There are some pretty decent sims and guitar processors out there.
That said, there's something about the tone of a guitar recorded through a mic'd amp that is so awesome. My question is, if I record clean guitars directly into my soundcard, slap on an effect with Guitar Rig, run that through my amp, and mic that amp; will it be worth it? Are results significantly different ? Do any of you guys do that?

Always love the pro-sim arguments that have a disclaimer that's basically saying nothing beats a real tube amp. ;)

If you are using Guitar Rig for your "sound"...what purpose is the amp serving?
Granted, adding the amp/speaker will change the tone, but it sounds like you are going to a lot of trouble to end up back at the amp.
Why not just record from the amp then?

Haha, well what I meant was, sims don't sound like crap anymore. If they're not as good as amps, the gap is definitely narrower than it used to be.
I don't want to just use the amp with the sim because I'll have to plug in the the guitar to the soundcard, then plug that into the amp, then mic it back into the soundcard. Sound like there'll be some lag issues there. Besides, I want to get the tracking first and then choose what tone I want.

I meant...why not just plug into the amp and mic it?

But if you want to record the notes first and then decide how they should sound...then do some kind of re-amp thing (like what you are talking about).
I just find the whole re-amp thing to be bassackward, since normally, you would first have a production idea and then go about recording toward it.
Now days it seems people first want to record a "neutral" bunch of tracks, and then decide on the production to apply to the recordings.

To each his own.... :)

well first off, if you're using an amp sim, turn off all the cab/mic emulation, because keeping them on and running it through an amp would be redundant

I meant...why not just plug into the amp and mic it?

I have a couple of distortion pedals, but they don't give me a lot of variety. The song I'm working on, I was thinking of using a mix of the pedals and the re amping thing. I get your point about deciding the tone first, then recording. I just want to try out different stuff and see how it sounds.

I just find the whole re-amp thing to be bassackward
I've seen that word only once before......on my Akai, when I'm naming the instrument on the track. All the virtual tracks are numbered so when I'm typing in 'Bass' you still see the "ack" and track number before deleteing whatever letters aern't needed. So for the last couple of years I've been seeing this word 'bassack'. It's lodged in my head. Got a surprize when I saw it here !

On with the thread !

Back