Recording with a Firestudio Mobile

saads

Baka
Hey guys, a quick question. I know recording drums with a Firestudio Project is better, but is it possible to use a Firestudio Mobile instead? What if I plug the overheads in the front inputs and use an XLR to quarter inch cable to plug the snare and bass drum mics into the back inputs? I've heard the signal won't be strong enough but I've tried the same thing (plugging a mic in with an XLR to quarter inch ) with a 2 input M audio Fasttrack and it worked alright.

Sure. I recorded using a Firebox for almost 3 years, using the Recorderman and Glyn Johns mic techniques. Condenser overheads went into the XLR plugs for phantom power, then kick and snare mics went into the back using XLR to 1/4" plugs. I never had an issue with volume concerns.

Hey Russ, thanks. So if I want to record using more mics I can just plug them into inputs 5-8 on the back?

Not much to add, but one of my biggest fail moments was when I was remote and used a couple of C414s as overheads through my bus-powered mobile interface, knowing, but forgetting, that the interface didn't supply enough phantom power to make those honkin' mics work right. Ooops. Other mics (including SDCs like SM81s or MC-012s) worked fine with lower power - just something to keep in mind if you're using bus power.

Hey Russ, thanks. So if I want to record using more mics I can just plug them into inputs 5-8 on the back?

Yes, as long as your PC can record those tracks without any problems, you can use those inputs and then use your DAW to compensate for any volume differences while you're mixing.

Any reason why the PC won't be able to record the extra tracks?

Processor, available memory, disk drive speed/available space, if you're running effects in real time while recording, etc. I've never had a problem recording 8 tracks at once on an older Pentium M laptop using my Firepod, but I have heard people discuss that their PC's specs/condition have kept them from recording more than 3-4 tracks at a time before clicks and pops appear. If your PC is fairly new and you're running clean, you shouldn't have any problems.

Back