Recording with a condenser microphone(s)

dumbass

Considering how they pick up on sound so well, should I place the mic close to my acoustic to block out the background noise? I'm going to be recording in my house and find that they pick up on the smallest noise...

Maybe close-miking it would be better for the fingerpicked songs, since they are at lower volume?

Too close can be bad as well, especially with songs played loudly with a pick. Just about to start recording, basically for the first time.

The easy answer to your questions: Yes.
Try everything. Try it all. If it sounds good, it's "right". If it sounds bad, it's not "right" and you should try something different.

I know you're looking for something more concrete, but really...experiment a lot and find what works for what you're doing.

Considering how they pick up on sound so well, should I place the mic close to my acoustic to block out the background noise? I'm going to be recording in my house and find that they pick up on the smallest noise...

Maybe close-miking it would be better for the fingerpicked songs, since they are at lower volume?

Too close can be bad as well, especially with songs played loudly with a pick. Just about to start recording, basically for the first time.

Yes, in a typical domestic situation close miking is almost certainly the way to go. More distant miking to pick up room ambience is only worthwhile if you have a nice sounding room which a normal square box almost certainly isn't.

Regarding finger picking sounds, don't forget that relatively small differences in mic position and aiming can make quite a big difference to the sound. Moving the mic up the neck by even a fret or two can change the sound quite a lot.

As Jeffromixesyou says, don't be afraid to experiment until you find the sound you like.

Back