Recording with 2488 NEO

sketterman

This is a bit of a multi point question regarding EQ, and I'm an admitted noob, so please bear with me for a minute.

Let's say that I'm recording a kick drum to a track on the NEO, and I already know that the mixing process is going to call for EQ to be cut below 80hz, and boosted slightly at 125hz. These, of course, are both low end EQ. I understand the NEO allows you to choose a few freq's in each band (hi, mid, low)to cut or boost with its onboard EQ, but I dont think you can do multiple frequency boosts and cuts within the same band simultaneously. So I would have to either cut below 80hz and thats it (for the low band), or boost 125hz and thats it (again for the low band), but not do both. (If the NEO allows you to make desired cuts/boosts in each freq of each band at the same time, just tell me I'm an idiot and ignore the rest of my post.)

Now, I'm also very new to home recording, so I'm assuming there is a way I can still do both of these low end changes on this kick drum track. How would I go about doing that? Could I boost the 125hz on that track on the NEO, then use the aux sends/buss's/effects loops or whatever to send that track to a separate, unused track on the NEO and then apply EQ again using that new track?

Or, I also have a mackie 1604 VLZ PRO mixer. Could I run the kick drum through the mixer, cut or add one of the low end freqs during recording, then use the NEO to boost/cut the other low end? This seems like it would work but doesnt seem like the best idea.

I hope this makes sense. I have the same issue with a couple instruments, well all of them I imagine, so whatever info you guys can give me would help me apply this to my whole mix. I know I could purchase a separate EQ and use that to adjust 20 bands at once, but I'd like to avoid that if I can use what I already have. Thanks a lot in advance.

Yes, you made sense. I understand the question. :)

I think the best way to do this is apply one of the EQ changes to the track (the 80hz cut, for example), bounce the track to another track, and then apply the other EQ change (the 125hz boost).

Yes, you made sense. I understand the question. :)

I think the best way to do this is apply one of the EQ changes to the track (the 80hz cut, for example), bounce the track to another track, and then apply the other EQ change (the 125hz boost).

Bingo. :) Rami is correct.

Just to be clear, though. You don't really have to bounce anything to accomplish the above-mentioned EQ changes. The mid-band EQ goes right down to 32hz. You can cut your 80hz with the "bass" band, and boost your 125hz with the "mid" band at the same time, without bouncing anything. In fact, it would probably more desireable this way since the "bass" band is a shelving EQ. Which means that if you boost 125hz with it, you're pretty much negating the cut you originally made at 80hz, since you're now boosting EVERYTHING under 125hz. By using the "mid" band to make your 125hz boost, you can zero in as much as you want and make as narrow a boost as you'd like at 125hz.

Hope this makes sense to you. It's all about the fact that the "mid" band EQ control is a "bell" EQ, and the "bass" band is a low-shelf EQ.

Just to be clear, though. You don't really have to bounce anything to accomplish the above-mentioned EQ changes. The mid-band EQ goes right down to 32hz. You can cut your 80hz with the "bass" band, and boost your 125hz with the "mid" band at the same time, without bouncing anything. In fact, it would probably more desireable this way since the "bass" band is a shelving EQ. Which means that if you boost 125hz with it, you're pretty much negating the cut you originally made at 80hz, since you're now boosting EVERYTHING under 125hz. By using the "mid" band to make your 125hz boost, you can zero in as much as you want and make as narrow a boost as you'd like at 125hz.

Hope this makes sense to you. It's all about the fact that the "mid" band EQ control is a "bell" EQ, and the "bass" band is a low-shelf EQ.
And you can also adjust the Q of the three bands, I believe, to make a boost or cut narrow or wide around the target frequency.

And you can also adjust the Q of the three bands, I believe, to make a boost or cut narrow or wide around the target frequency.

No, Zaph you can't. That was my point. You can only adjust the "Q" of the "mid" band. The other 2 bands are shelving EQ's. So you'd only be boosting or cutting everything below the chosen frequency for the low band, or everything above the chosen frequency for the high band.

So, to go back to original response, I have to say I was in-correct. Cutting 80hz with the low band, and then boosting 125hz with that same low band after a bounce, is defeating the purpose because by boosting everything under 125hz, you're putting back whatever you cut under 80hz.

No, Zaph you can't. That was my point. You can only adjust the "Q" of the "mid" band. The other 2 bands are shelving EQ's. So you'd only be boosting or cutting everything below the chosen frequency for the low band, or everything above the chosen frequency for the high band.

So, to go back to original response, I have to say I was in-correct. Cutting 80hz with the low band, and then boosting 125hz with that same low band after a bounce, is defeating the purpose because by boosting everything under 125hz, you're putting back whatever you cut under 80hz.

Right, I wasn't thinking it through.

Why do you EQ it that way?

Well heres the deal with that. I've done a lot of reading on tweakheadz, which I feel is a fantastic source for information, and those examples have been common tips from multiple sources on that website.

Keep in mind that I'm not necessarily going to be EQ'ing my kick track that way, obviously I need to see what works for my music through trial and error. I simply used that particular example with those numbers to see how I could do 2 seperate EQ mods within the same band on the same track with the 2488 and or mixer.

I'm fully open to suggestions with EQ, since I'm pretty much just starting out with home recording. Feel free to help me out here :D

I'm hoping to find a way to get a kick sound similar to All That Remains or In Flames. Those are my favorite kick sounds in the world lol.

Back