Recording w/metronome on...

C. Anthony

I've been through the manual on this one to no avail...

First my setup: Cake 9.03 --- Mixtreme --- TMD-1000 ---

I want to have the metronome on while recording a guitar player with vocals. In my vocal booth I've set up a mic on the guitar and another mic on the vocals. I've got decent separation and have each mic panned hard left and right. I want the metronome on in record so I can keep the player in time. How can I NOT record a giant beat onto disk and just have the monitor/headphones get the metronome??

It depends on your soundcard I believe. For instance, I'm using an SBLive! and through the mixer control I can select the record source to be "Line-In". That way it will not record any midi noise that's occuring. If you have a setting such as "What You Hear", you'll double everthing in the process.

That should be easy enough. What is your soundcard? The real question is can you do soundfonts? If so then you got it real easy. Click Options|Project. Pick the Metronome tab. Click on recording, Use MIDI note, and choose the count in. I set mine to zero so it starts right away...measures and beats don't count if you do that so either one on that. Pick the port, channels and duration (default should be 1, 10, 6), next pick the note to play (F#3) which is a hi hat hit. it's not loud enogh fer me so I change it to E 3 which is a hard snare hit. Change the velocity to 127 on both the first beat and the other beats.

That should get you going. If you don't have sound fonts then thats another story. It's the best way, then they can be played in the performers cans and not get recorded.

Hope this help some. Good luck.

Oh yeah, and as BMan said. If you have record what you hear, turn that off....hehehe

Thank you both for answering. Well the soundcard IS the Mixtreme. It's the recording card. I also have a regular (well better than regular) system soundcard
by Hoontech called the Digital XG. It's like a SBLive with lots of digital I/O (s/pdif, aes/ebu, optical) but instead of playing soundfonts it will play Sondius XG and something called Downloadable Sounds (DS). I only record my live sessions with the Mixtreme. The Hoontech (Sound Track in the U.S.) I use for recording digitally from a dat or minidisk or other optical/spdif/aes-ebu source. I never even use my soundcards sounds because I have so many external modules. Sometime I'd like to try it's sounds and explore the DS sounds. So my MIDI click is coming from a module and into the Tascams inputs (7 and 8). The click is only on the right channel. The Mixtreme is connected to the TM-D1000 using a TDIF cable. Whatever goes into the inputs of the Tascam goes to the Mixtreme and onto "tracks". I've really got everything I use to record music plugged into the Tascam mixer.

So .. question: In Cake under Project;Options;Metronome... The "port" as you said is 1. I tried picking the port and it will ONLY stay on one. What is 1 anyway? I assume it's whatever is chosen as my midi output in Settings;Control Panel; Multimedia Properties. Anyway it seems I cant really pick a port from Cake. The port refers to the source the MIDI will come from ..again I assume.
In my computers Multimedia Properties I can choose
1. Internal Digital-XG synthesiser
2. Digital- DS-XG MPU-401 or
3. Music Quest MPU401 (I also have an MQX-32M MIDI interface card in my system)

Sooooo whatever my source for the metronome click is I have to keep it from being routed to the TDIF cable and onto Mixtreme and Cakewalks tracks and ONLY routed into the monitor output (headphones) of the TM-D1000.

Now I'm thinking this is as much a Tascam TM-d1000 question as it is a Cakewalk question.
Any experience would be appreciated.

Back