recording vocals

Rassizzm

ok I've been told by someone to record my vocals dry...no EQ...I have them turned all the way to the left...everytime I do this I can get the vocals to sound good in the final mix...when I put them all to the center, I can come up with a good mix...whats the best way to do this...
or whats the proper way to do this

I have a mackie 1604vlz and a rode nt? something...
...help

http://www.ampcast.com/blackecho

both songs at the place above where done the way I like

yep...... the best way to record ANYTHING, is with the EQ completly flat(unchanged) because if U record everything flat then U can always EQ it after. But if U EQ while recording the EQ setting U used might sound really bad in the mix, but since U have already EQ'ed it, itz impossible to get the original sound back without re-recordin.

and when U look at your EQ knob on your Mackie, on the right side of the knob it will say +15(or some other positive number), and on the left it will say -15(or some other negative number) and in the middle there will be a "U". So, you want the knob right in the middle aligned with the U, because that means you aren't taking any frequencies out, nor are you amplifyin others, if the knob is aligned with the "U", that means you aren't using the eq.

and in short........
aligning EQ knob with "U" = good for recordin(no eq) if you want EQ add it after

Sabith

ok I must have missed understood the guy that told me to record vocals with everything set to -15

thanks for your help

your "DA MAN" Sabith

Yo Rassizza-dazzla:]

You are correct doing EQ as voiced by the Sabith of Id.

But, you can use your reverb while doing vocals and NOT RECORD it; then, when you do the mix, you can add reverb and pinpoint the effect you like.

By letting the singer hear the reverb in the cans, it gives the talent a nice feeling, big sound, and, of course, the voice sounds richer. [the better the reverb box, the better the end result]

I use very little EQ on vocals unless I'm after a certain effect and that is just personal taste or fitting the voice with the song or something crazy like that.

Green Hornet

Back