Recording using a 1979 855 12-string

Rick Shepherd

Hi everyone,

I finally got around to recording a song using my Lemon Grove Taylor 855 12-string. I really wanted all of you folks to hear how very beautiful the guitar sounds as well as share this very intimate Gordon Lightfoot song. As you may already know, he also wrote, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Sundown, If You Could Read My Mind, Beautiful, etc. just to name a few.

This song is called, "Affair On Eighth Avenue". It is a very intimate song and I hope you enjoy listening. Here ya go: Affair On Eighth Avenue

I didn't use any compression or EQ, just a bit of Pantheon reverb.

I used a pair of Gefell M300s for the guitar and a Peluso 2247LE on my vocals. I used the Avalon AD2022 preamp and UA2192 AD/AD converter into my PC using the E-MU 1212m soundcard. Then mixed down in Sonar4 Producer.

Last edited:
Those 12-Strings are a pain to restring and tune - but this one sounds right on the money.... Sounds really nice overall - you're right....

I'm not familiar with his Lightfoot tune, but it's a lovely one.....

Recording sounds good - nothing I would change

Great job on the vocals (love the vibrato) and the guitar playing is super nice as always.

This may well be one of your best recordings that I have heard from you Rick.....

Very Cool... :cool:

:) :D :) :D

/whistles appreciatively/

Nice job, man. The 12-string sounds great. I doubt I'd even be able to get it in tune. That must take some real hand strength.

I am unfamiliar with the song also, I'm ashamed to admit. But first impressions are good. ;)

Thanks for sharing this.

Thank-you all for the comments. Gordon Lightfoot had many really great songs, and he is still do live concerts. I hope to record some other favorites of his in the near future.

Ciro, Polska 77, Jpw23

Thanks alot for listening: It really means alot to hear what you all have to say. This song was a labor of love for me, not an easy one to pull off successfully. I especially like how bell-like the 12-string sounds,

Back