Recording to PC w/ shure mic..how?

moppet01

Hi,

I am sorely in need of some quick tips on how to attach a regular shure58 mic to my PC so that I can record onto it. The back panel of the pC has a jack that says 'mic', but it's the small size that would fit for a walkman headphone...is this even where you attach a mic for recording to a PC?

What can I say, I'm clueless. Please help me.

Thanks,

Mark

You will want to use the 'line' in on your soundcard, not the 'mic' in.

In order to get a usable signal out of your SM57, you will need to send it to some sort of preamp first, and then out of the preamp into the 'line' in on your soundcard.

A preamp(s) can be in the form of a small (or large) mixer, or a dedicated pre.

The Art Tube MP is a decent, cheap preamp, or the Maudio stuff. For small mixers, there are the Mackies, Spirit, etc etc. Price range $99 and up.

Your cabling choices will probably remain the same whichever route you take. You will need something like - 1/8" stereo male cable that splits into two 1/4" male connectors (splits into two so that you have access to the left channel, or right, or both if you use two mics at once - using 2 mics at once would require a preamp for each)

BTW, what type of soundcard is it? If it's a real cheapo generic one, you may want to consider replacing it as well. Prices range from $30 for a Creative ensonic, $50 for an SBlive, onwards and upwards in price all depending on your needs.

You will also need software to record.

Price ranges $50 (i think) for N-Track www.fasoft.com to $300 - $600 Calkwalk, Cubase etc. Nuendo, SAW - $1200+

Thanks

Thank you, that is quite helpful.

I believe the sound card is Yamaha AC-XG Audio....does that sound right? Would something like a POD work as a pre-amp?

Thanks again,

Mark

a Pod can be used as a preamp for a sm58, but it wont give you as good a sound as u may be lloking for...use an XLR to 1/4" cord to go from the mic to the Pod...use a clean amp setting, tube if possible.....I used my J-Station as a preamp for my sm57 until I could get a decent preamp.....

Back