Recording thru s/pdif

Galla

I want to record into my computer with my MPC via my sound cards s/pdif. will there be an improvement over going thru its converts without the benefit of a word clock generator. The mpc has no interface for word clock. Would I be better off just buying an Alesis HD24 for professional quality, or can I go thru my s/pdif

Galla said:
I want to record into my computer with my MPC via my sound cards s/pdif. will there be an improvement over going thru its converts without the benefit of a word clock generator. The mpc has no interface for word clock. Would I be better off just buying an Alesis HD24 for professional quality, or can I go thru my s/pdif
You can use the sp/dif if your MPC has digital outs.

It does have s/pdif connections. I guess my real question is whether going thru the s/pdif will give me proffessional quality sound into my computer.

t would epend totally on what is in front of the S/PDIF input. A device with crappy converters will input crappy audio. Basicly garbage in, garbage out.

Using SPDIF out of any digital device will result in better quality because you are losing that last D/A A/D step. Whether the device itself sounds anygood only you know. There is no such thing as a professional sound.

Slackmaster 2000

If you use the s/pdif out, and your soundcard will lock to the code from it, and you use a high quality s/pidf cable, not just any rca cable lying around, then you should see an improvement since as slackmaster said, you are skipping an extra d/a - a/d conversion step.

Having a master clock is probably a great idea, but I don't think you need the Alesis HD24 just for that!

If your MPC has a good sound, then you will get the same sound into your computer thru the coax(digital) out. If not well, GIGO!

I just realized I said almost the same thing as Slack, but took twice as long to say it.:rolleyes:

I guess I'm not very efficient:(

Back