Recording thru my PC pls help a newbie

ustadjohnny

Ok, here goes.
I have a PIII 550 Mhz PC with 128mb RAM, 17 GB hard disk and Creative Audio PCI soundcard. Sofwtares- Cakewalk-pro audio 9 Soundfoge- 4.5 I want to record my own tunes (I play guitar, and I want LOTS of overdubbing) And sequence the drums and bass thru cakewalk. And maybe record a little percussion like congas or bongos. How do I go about it. I mean, do I plug me guit directly into the comp (Line in) or do I have to buy a pre-amp. I use boss stomp boxes and also I have a teeny weeny park marshall I love the sound of. I am thinking of buying a Shure SM 57 too... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

line ins the one to go for , but as the name suggests it has to be a line level signal that is fed into this input. So a preamp will be in order , im not of a guitarist and never done it but u might be able to use a pedal to preamp the guitar (yuk!!!) i wouldnt recomend it though.. if things are really tight u could opt for a small mixer and if u can go with the 57 then u could mike up the marshal.. i know it sounds piss weak but i use to mike up a peavey rage and use to get it rocken!!! But theres a few small pre amps out there , meek springs to mind... but best to ask someone who uses them... well good luck with it all .. that pc should rock for what your using it for ... im using a p3 450 256mb and it pisses recording 8 tracks at a time , so good luck man and have fun !!!

For what it's worth, I *like* my guitar/amp sound, so I mike my guitar. Try both miking and line-in to see what you like better.

MikeDog

As Spider recommended, you definitely need a pre amp of some sort. As with a lot of us on this bbs, money is always an issue. I am currenly using my Peavey 2012 powered mixer as my pre. It is not the quitest thing in the world but it works. One solution that I have been considering is the Behringer eurodesk mixers. they have a six channel job for under $100. I have heard conflicting stories as to how good they are and I am sure you get what you pay for, but it might be a good place to start. Check them out as musicians friend (this may not be the best price). They also have larger models. If you have money to spend, I would probably look at something else.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/s...&type=c&q=FAAX&linenum=40&csel=&netpid=631222

Back