Recording the TM-D1000's effects...

C. Anthony

How would I print the TM-D1000's effects (reverb), or record them onto my tracks?
My setup : TM-D1000 -- Mixtreme -- Cake 9.03
Has anyone ever done it?
Each time I've tried I get bone dry tracks.
Would appreciate ANY germane input from anyone.
Thanks

I'll post the answer myself!

Looks like this is going to be ignored on this forum. Well I got some good answers on another forum. Just to be a good sport (like...hockey!?) I'm gonna post the answers I received just in case someone else has wanted/needed to try this.

jpleong
posted 03-21-2001 07:54
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thebeatles,
You're not doing anything wrong. The effects on the TM-D1000 are intended for initial tracking and for final mixdown to (originally) DAT. As such, the return of the effects goes to the Effect Return and then to the stereo LR bus. Effected signal goes nowhere near the TDIF. The easiest way to record effected signal would be to use the S/PDIF Digital Out (carrying the LR signal) on the TM-D1000 to go to the S/PDIF Digital In on your Mixtreme card.
I am curious, though, as to why you aren't using the Mixtreme's own built-in DSP? That shouldn't tax your system as much as the Cakewalk FX. Just a thought...

JP

IP: Logged

x69rzx
posted 03-21-2001 11:38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My setup is close to yours so check this out.
I use the mixer's ins, and direct out them. Since you can assign any input to any track.
I use Logic, but I think this will work for you.
Then I use outs 1-2(tdif) for my stereo bus.
Next, assign the out put of aux's 1-2 in your cakewalk program to outputs 3-4(tdif).
Repeat the process again with aux's 3-4 to outputs 5-6(tdif)
(all faders at unity gain)
Now on the mixer, assign channels 9-10 to the stereo bus hard panned L-R.
Channels 11-12, should not be on the stereo bus. Instead, assign them only to aux's 1-2, 11 to 1, 12 to 2.
Again, repeat this with channels 13-14. Only to aux's 3-4. 13-3, 14-4.
Now, if you did all that right, and you assign both effect engines to the stereo bus, you should be able to route signal straight out of cakewalk into the mixer
and then right back in to cakewalk,
without ever getting up.
Double check to make sure that the stereo bus of your mixer if feeding the spdif out, and run that to your mixtreme. Set up two tracks to receive your stereo mix!

It's kinda like using the mixer as a master section. Works for me maybe sumthin in there helped at least.

[This message has been edited by x69rzx (edited 03-21-2001).]

C,
One other thing that was stated over at TASCAM was that if you avoid using the onboard effects of the TMD-1000, you won't drop down to 20bit processing. TASCAM uses this meathod to add effects, then it adds the lost bits back on at the end. Somes say if you don't use effects, your signal stays at 24 bit all the way through. I don't know if it makes any difference, I'm just passing it on.
Chuck

Back