recording the bass direct

GRADSTANG

I have a tascam 788 digital recorder.I just need some helpful hints or suggestions to recording the bass direct using this recorder.and also looking for the most inexpensive way.Also if i used the channel that is capable of handling the guitar direct(channel 4)how are the results give me all the help and suggestions you can give me thanks GH

A few people swear by using an inexpensive pre like the TubeMP. Personally, I haven't tried it, but look forward to when I pick up a bass in the near future.
Right now, I'm using my guitar synth with a fretless bass patch direct into my sound card for bass. It's ok, but nothing to write home about. A little eq and chorus or verb helps take the edge off.
Experiment with all you got, though. That's all you can do.

mike

The best combination I've discovered is:

Bass -> Sansamp Bass Driver DI -> Art Tube MP -> Recorder

Use the tube mp's phantom power to power the Sansamp for best results. It's a little hard getting the gain staging right, but once you do, it's a very nice combination. Neither of these boxes by themselves sound as good as when they're combined.

Slackmaster 2000

you're going the right way by thinking of recording direct. whenever i've been in the studio, we've set up massive cabinets as well as having a direct box, and we always choose direct. i haven't seen any boxes that stand above the rest, they all seem created equal. and if you're not doing anything super professional, you should be fine with the guitar/hi-z input on your mixer. its essentially the same thing as a DI.

Some of the best bass tracks I've gotten are direct but while playing thru a cabinet LOUD. I set up a direct feed out of the bass head only and have the bass player do his dub with sufficiant volume to "light up" the bass. All the definition of the direct send but the bass will growl like only the bass/amp/moving lots of air combo will do.

Track Rat said:
Some of the best bass tracks I've gotten are direct but while playing thru a cabinet LOUD. I set up a direct feed out of the bass head only and have the bass player do his dub with sufficiant volume to "light up" the bass. All the definition of the direct send but the bass will growl like only the bass/amp/moving lots of air combo will do.

absolute gospel! It`s rare to find a bass that can provide the sound and a player with the touch that will give the natural real live bass sound for recording. Nothing better than the real thing mixed with the definition and clarity of direct.

sjcrts said:
I have a cheap yamaha bass run through a boss compressor/sustain pedal. I run it direct to my zoom mrs1044 digital recorder. I think it's a good sound.

If you want an example of the bass sound listent to the track "in ruins" here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2356&alid=370

~scott

Just listened to "Dust" man thats a killer recording, clear and thick, really nice.... what did you use for drums?... great guitar sound too.... also what did you record this with?...

Just noticed you said you use a zoom mrs1044...:)

Thx for the compliments kelly5150!!

I recorded with my Yamaha bass into a boss comressor into the guitar input of the zoom mrs1044. It was a stock zoom bass prog that I used on the recorder to give it the chorus and verb.

The guitar is my Yamaha rgx 421-d. Very close in feel and looks to the Ibanez rg models. That was also plugged direct into the guitar input of the zoom with stock distortion sounds that are built in.

The drums are programed on the same zoom mrs1044 unit. The built in drum machine has killer sounds.

There's also some keys/strings in there to thicken up the lows a bit. I got those from my wife's digital piano and just pluged that into the zoom.

The reverbs are all from the zoom and I used the mastering section of the unit to finalize the sound. Now I just have to finnish the music lol.

The zoom is a nice little unit for someone like me that just noodles around with music. To limited for a band situation, but perfect for me.

Thx for the listen!

~scott

sjcrts said:
Thx for the compliments kelly5150!!

I recorded with my Yamaha bass into a boss comressor into the guitar input of the zoom mrs1044. It was a stock zoom bass prog that I used on the recorder to give it the chorus and verb.

The guitar is my Yamaha rgx 421-d. Very close in feel and looks to the Ibanez rg models. That was also plugged direct into the guitar input of the zoom with stock distortion sounds that are built in.

The drums are programed on the same zoom mrs1044 unit. The built in drum machine has killer sounds.

There's also some keys/strings in there to thicken up the lows a bit. I got those from my wife's digital piano and just pluged that into the zoom.

The reverbs are all from the zoom and I used the mastering section of the unit to finalize the sound. Now I just have to finnish the music lol.

The zoom is a nice little unit for someone like me that just noodles around with music. To limited for a band situation, but perfect for me.

Thx for the listen!

~scott

Wow, thats hard to believe those are stock built in sounds.... those are exactally the sounds I wanna get, especially those drums... I almost bought the Zoom MRS1644, I think thats the model... I figured the drum machine would be cool but too hard to program... I usually dont have the patience to learn the technical programming stuff....I ended up getting the Fostex VF80, still havent figured out all the ins and outs yet...

Anyway you did an excellent job and I'd like to hear that when you get it finished... awesome job so far...

:)

Oh, and nice guitar work on "In Ruins"

Last edited:
Thanks again!

The drum machine section takes some getting used to because you have to record each patter in real time by tapping on each drum pad. It gets easier over time, but I was used to step editing patterns on my old drum machine.

The zooms are nice, but I think you'll have more flexibility for recording and production on the fostex. The zooms just happen to have all kinds of built in sounds and drums and that's cool to. Just depends what you want from the gear.

The zoom allows me to get full blown recordings without disturbing the family with the volume of my marshall amp. Even though I love my amp I havent used it since I bought the zoom. It's just so damn convinient. lol

I almost bought the model with the burner, but I plu into my audigy sound card and use software to burn to disk and create mp3's.

~scott

Any of you guys have any experience using a V-Amp with a bass? I know it's really supposed to be used with a 6 string, but I don't have a bass amp and I was just wondering.

bd

Don't know about the V amp but I have a POD and a J Station and they're OK for bass. Some of the cleaner amp models along with the compressor can work. About the only processor designed for guitar that totally sucked on a bass was a Tom Sholtz Rockman.

bdbdbuck said:
Any of you guys have any experience using a V-Amp with a bass? I know it's really supposed to be used with a 6 string, but I don't have a bass amp and I was just wondering.bd

I would buy something specifically voiced for bass, such as the Sansamp Bass Driver DI for $169. at www.8thstreet.com

I can name dozens of big time professional bassists who use SansAmp, Bass POD, Aguilar and Demeter direct boxes......I haven't read about one pro using a Behringer. I'm not saying it wouldn't sound good with a bass but they are far from a proven commodity.

Seein as though bass ain't my main gig, I'd be a little reluctant to spend the cash on something like that right now. Proven or not, the Behringer is what I have, I hear what you're sayin about the voicings though.

bd

me and a guitar player used Rockmans daisy chained to go over stuff in motel rooms. It really sucked most the time, except when we had great bud..

They're a Two trick pony. Either that super processed sustain with chous or (my favorite:cool: ) with a strat in the 2nd position thru the clean setting (think Robert Plant's "Big Log").

Back