recording steinway grand in a small recital hall...

greengyozaman

Hi all,

New here, and wondering if you can help.

I'm doing a piano recital next month and wondering what's the best way to record a grand piano in a small recital room (120+ capacity).

Piano: Steinway Model-D grand, 9-ft
Venue: Small recital room (120+ capacity), high ceiling with a dome roof in the middle part of the long diagonal room, with good acoustic (sound will travel far)
Piano position: one end of the room, lid fully-open facinig other side of the room
Music: classical (Debussy, Arvo Part, Mussorgsky, new music by Andrew Campling)

Equipments I have so far:

1) Recorder: Zoom R24, Zoom H4n
2) Mics: 2 x Shure PG81, 2 x AKG Perception 420, 2 x AKG C214 matched pair

Equipments I'm thinking about getting:

1) Mics: 2 x Rode NT2-A, 2 x Rode NT55, or 2 x Audio Technica AT2050
2) Preamp: Presonus Digimax D8 or Focusrite Octopre MkII

Or should I go for 2 x AKG C414 XLS, or other mics and not bother with the preamp?

Should I use more or less mics?

I would like a transparent, clean, sound without too much hammer action noice but need to capture the weight of the Steinway grand sound in full without loss of lower-frequency signal...

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ideally you would be hanging two matched highly transparent mics from the ceiling (or very tall stand) about 8-10 feet from the instrument (depending on the room) in front of and pointing down at the piano. 45-65 degree spread. That's how I used to do it.

Mics can be easily placed 8-10 feet from the grand piano and angled towards the fully-open lid.

I guess my matched C214 pair can be used for this arrangement - how far apart between the mics should be? 8-10 feet apart also?

I also read somewhere that Omnis are often preferred for classical recording - so should I use the Perception 420 pair instead, or use both pairs but reinforce the C214 as per your suggestions with my Perception 420s to capture the atmosphere also?

Good thread on the topic

164055d1269195893-classical-piano-recording-2-mics-piano_setup.jpg

From this thread.

Wow - very high set-up. I need a height extension to my mic stand as well as extra-long XLR cables. I see a pair of SDC mics shown in this photo - so this suggests that it might be better for me to look at using getting a pair of NT55s using the omni caps (as suggestions elsewhere seem to suggest) instead of mounting a pair of C214s or the AKG 420s (the latter being much heavier)...

And I guess as a result of using a longer set of cables, you'd suggest that a preamp will be useful for this set-up, no?

Hmm - just returned from a music store nearby, only to be told that I would be better off using a pair of SE4400a PLUS either spend as much as you can on the preamps or get an audio interface i.e. Roland Octa Capture.... I tried to ask questions regarding AKG C414, or any other multi-pattern Rode mics - but he kept steering me towards "a decent Chinese handmade" SE4400a pair @ £1,000...

Any opinions on this? I still prefer to keep a neutral but true sound of the grand and Rode mics seem to answer a lot my questions if no-one tells me to use my C214s and Perception 420s...

One thing is for sure - that preamp will be a good investment. So I'm thinking about getting Focusrite Octopre MkII... Any other suggestions from similar price range to the Octopre?

Back