RECORDING SPEEDS: Studio Console records @7.5ips.Do I need a 15ips Mixdown Machine?

gentlejohn

I'm still trying to acquire 'the right' 2 TRK machine for mixing down purposes. My question is: 'Recording Speeds'. If my machine (a Tascam 388) records at a set 7.5ips is there any real benefit to getting a mixdown machine that records higher? Price is a big consideration as, after the workshop repairs on my recording console, I don't have much of a budget left for, well, anything else really right now. That said, I don't want to compromise too much when it comes to this stage of production either. I'd rather hang on, save up & wait until I can afford the right machine for my set up. Thing is, I'm not entirely sure what that is! I'm sure there's plenty of 2 TRK machines that'd fit the bill but, as you'll know, the higher the recording speed = the higher the machine cost (usually). If I'm outputting at 7.5ips would it not make more sense to be mixing down to a machine running at the same speed. I dunno! Anybody like to shed any light on this?

It's usually better to mixdown to a superior format so as to preserve all of the original quality as much as possible and to also maintain compatibility with mastering facilities should you decide to get your recording professionaly mastered elsewhere.

Plus, if you ever do upgrade from your 388 to something beefier, you won't have to upgrade your two track mastering gear at that point.

Both TASCAM and Fostex put out 15 IPS two track decks that were geared toward the lower budget user like the 22-2 as an example.

Cheers! :)

I'd also think you'd want 15ips for the decreased generation loss. Unless you don't care about such things, in which case you could probably get by with a cassette deck (I use a Tascam 122 at 3.75ips for all my mixdowns from digital at school).

Also, 1/4" half-track at 15ips is THE ubiquitous master format. Off the top of my head I can think of 2-3 machines that are mastering decks that ran at 7.5ips top speed. I'd think you'd be able to find a proper mastering deck a lot easier than one of those. So why get into the situation I'm in now with my 122? Which is, that no matter how many cassette decks I have around me (or anyone else I know has), my digitally-recorded mixdowns are only playable on one machine, which I've lugged with me on a few occasions, and if it ever fails, then I'm a bit stuck, because the original 122 isn't exactly commonplace.

If you want to send the tape to someone else, e.g. if you ever want a record cut from it, the studio is going to have their machine set up for 15ips since that's basically the standard. As a rule their machines will also be able to handle 7.5, but since most tapes they're likely to get will be recorded at 15, they may not have bothered lining the machine up for low speed. (I certainly don't)

As mentioned, a 15ips mixdown will be lose less information than a 7.5ips mixdown, even if the source is 7.5. FWIW I find the frequency range of the 7.5 ips hiss to be more intrusive than 15 (which is probably why 15 was adopted).

AWESOME! That's simply & succinctly cleared that minor dilemma up in my mind. Are you aware just how much you folks ROCK? Well, you do!!! Thanks SO much people.

The following are units I am currently considering for my 2-TRK Mixdown Machine (in conjunction with a TASCAM 388 studio). Any thoughts/advice extremely appreciated - I can only afford one!

- A REVOX A77 MK IV
- A SONY TC756-2
- A TEAC X1000M

(As far as I can determine, all machines can run at both 7.5ips & 15ips.)

The following are units I am currently considering for my 2-TRK Mixdown Machine (in conjunction with a TASCAM 388 studio). Any thoughts/advice extremely appreciated - I can only afford one!

- A REVOX A77 MK IV
- A SONY TC756-2
- A TEAC X1000M

(As far as I can determine, all machines can run at both 7.5ips & 15ips.)

Be aware that the Revox comes in a lot of configurations. There are 4-track stereo versions (where the tape can be flipped over) - you need to make sure it's a 2-track stereo version.
Most of them are 7.5, though. There are factory-modded ones which could do 15ips, probably referred to as A77-HS or suchlike.
If you can find one like that in decent condition, it should be a nice machine. I have a B77 which has a few problems with the pinch roller solenoid that I haven't been able to iron out. Otherwise it's a lovely machine, and I still use it for phasing and slapback echo where a little wow is less critical.
Some people say that the A77 sounds nicer, but I've not had one so I can't compare the two.

It might be worth looking for a Revox PR99, since I believe those are always half-track 15ips machines (they were the broadcast version of the B77). The Mk2 and Mk3 have electronic counters with return-to-zero capability, which the A77, B77 and the PR99 Mk1 lack.

I can't speak for the other machines.

As mentioned by Ghost of FM, a Tascam 22-2 is good bet. The 22-2 would be a good, relatively easy to find, affordable mate for the 388.

Last edited:

The TEAC X-1000RBL is a bi-directional autoreverse recorder, which by definition makes it a 1/4" quarter track stereo format, (4-track/2-channel), not a half-track stereo (2-track/2-channel) format. It is a high end consumer deck running 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 IPS, not a mastering machine running 15 IPS. "R"= autoreverse. "BL"=black.

That is not to say it isn't an exceedingly nice R/R recorder that won't produce hifi sound, but it's not a true mastering format.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/teac/x-1000r.shtml

Tascam 22-2, 32, BR-20
Otari MX-5050 series
Fostex Model 20, E2

There's a 32 for $200 in CL near me. I'd look for a 22 or 32.

I had a Tascam 32 and Fostex Model 20, both in excellent condition, but I sold them out of nece$$ity. I still have a Fostex E2, which may be next!

I'd rather have held onto the 32, but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse! ($260/pickup). Even for that amount, it was an exceedingly good deal... and I did a calibration on it before sending it out the door!

:spank::eek:;)

Back