recording solo piano

icarus

Does anyone have any suggestions about recording solo digital piano. I'm recording from a roland xv-88 with piano expansion card into cakewalk on my pentium IV, 640 mb ram system through an echo mia soundcard on balanced inputs. Specifically, I don't really want to go crazy with processing or anything but I'd like to achieve a very soft and warm sound and at least eliminate that low piano note rumble. The xv-88 also generates a little noise and I'd like to reduce the noise floor if possible while keeping my instrument levels up, but don't really know how. I've got db-audio processor/limiter/compressor. What eq, processing has anyone else had success with along this new age type piano recording lines. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Yo Icarus: [Hey, man, don't fly too close to the sun or the wax will melt!!!:( :confused:

Suggest you shut off the compressor. Run your keys through a mic pre and that will "warm" the keys. Use reverb that fits the warm sound you want. This will take some experimentation and, of course, time. We all are busy but to get an effect in recording, it takes experimentation and TIME.

Also, if you can program your patches, you might try editing. I can do this with my Yamaha DX7 and sometimes I come up with a nice soft sound.

Or, surround your keyboard with 100 pounds of Eider down -- man, that's really soft.

Green Hornet
:D :D :D

Back