recording software

ches1

Hi everyone!

does the recording software you use have an impact on the sound quality of what's being record or it really doesn't matter if I record in let's say: Ableton Live compared to Adobe Audition ????

The software will pick up the exact same 1's and 0's as the next software. Most software will null those same 1's and 0's during summing.

The processing in between is another story.

The chain *before* the software is 95% of the entire story.

"The processing in between is another story."

so you're saying that I can record in whatever program I feel like but that there's gonna be a difference if I mix these track in ex: Pro-Tools vs. Live vs. Audition ??

Last edited:
Let me rephrase that - The DAW's native processing.

In theory, a track summed in pretty much any program using identical processing should null out. But native processing varies widely.

I think massive is saying that when it comes to the application, it's all the same crap.

thats my experience anyway.

for recording software only, as you asked. Plugins are a different story. some app's built in plugins can be better/worse, I'd imagine. I really never experimented much with different plugins- but if there wasnt a difference, why would some plugins come free and others cost thousands of dollars.

24 track board --> reel to reel makes me :D

Couple of years ago the major recording magazines dove into the question (because the boards were alive with it).

They did all sorts of blind tests in GOOD studios and no one could tell any difference.

Back