Recording Software For Demos. What To Use?

apoczen211

I have been a fan of Pro Tools for a long time and since I have upgraded my computer to a new 2012 Macbook, my PT7.4 no longer works with this system. I'd like to continue using PT's because I am fluent with its work flow, I just don't feel spending $400 for the upgrade is really worth it to record demos at this time. Will Apple logic 9 or any other software that is a little cheaper be worth the switch. I'm mostly recording bands with guitar, bass, drums, vox, etc... All the sequencers and MIDI stuff is not a big must for me, it would really be for my own pleasure. Can someone recommend a software that is worth changing over to that is good for recording these kinds of instruments. Mixing and editing of waves is an important aspect that I always found dull in Logic Pro 7 and Cubase's earlier versions. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

REAPER

Un-crippled demo. $60 if you like it. Don't be scared away by the low price. It's an awesome DAW that will give you more than what you need.

Thanks for the response my fellow Montrealer. I'll check it out. I was really considering Logic 9, but I'll see what this is about.

Demoing through Garageband is the fastest and most user friendly DAW out there IMO... I've whipped out demos going direct-in in a few hours. Very easy! Good luck!

Regardless of how many tracks you can record in any DAW, you should be asking how many physical inputs you can get with your interface. I use FL Studio which an has unlimited number of recording slots (99 to be precise) but it's no good with a soundcard (my E=MU 0404) that has only one input. :D

I have been a fan of Pro Tools for a long time and since I have upgraded my computer to a new 2012 Macbook, my PT7.4 no longer works with this system. I'd like to continue using PT's because I am fluent with its work flow, I just don't feel spending $400 for the upgrade is really worth it to record demos at this time.

FL Studio - lifetime free upgrades on one purchase. That's one reason I'm a fan of Image Line! :D

I have heard FL-studio being good, the only thing is that I never used it, so it's always last on my mind of options. I'll check that one out aswell. My setup has 16 channels, so my question was just to know how limited Garageband would be on my setup. Although a lifetime of free upgrades is the way it should be..:guitar:

I have heard FL-studio being good, the only thing is that I never used it, so it's always last on my mind of options. I'll check that one out aswell. My setup has 16 channels, so my question was just to know how limited Garageband would be on my setup. Although a lifetime of free upgrades is the way it should be..:guitar:

I don't know about GB but after seeing it on a friend's Mac the other day, it's like many others where the tracks appear in a vertical list, which you just know you'll have to scroll through, if it gets much bigger.

With FL, things are laid out differently, which is why I enjoy using it. In fact, I'd say precisely the reason a lot of people overlook it, is because it started as a relatively primitive pattern sequencer and many seem not realise just how much it's matured. It is said to be much more flexible than Garageband, which is just a free app that comes with the Mac to get you started in music making. In reviews, it seems FL is the more serious and powerful of the two.

Id have to say for someone starting out Reaper is a no brainer

If Logic 9 is still running at its discount price then thats a hell a lot of FX and instruments for the price, it may work out even better value than Reaper in the long run

Im a big fan of Studio One by Presonus, they have an uncrippled free version to try out...its workflow is second to none imho

But in truth nearly all of them will get you going, its just whether you outgrow some of the more basic ones eventually

Thanks for all the responses. I've been out of the game for a bit, but I'm pretty affluent in recording so having a basic setup for the fact of being new to it is not what I need. I just wanted to see what would be good for smaller scaled recordings that dont require top notch plug ins and stuff like that. I think for now I'm going to stick with Garageband until I see there is even a market for demos in my area. Eventually a hi-fi studio setup would be in the cards if there is enough work around here. I got out of it in Florida because it was way to cut-throat and everyone was a pro, even when they needed my gear to record. Just wanted to see if here is the same issue here in Montreal. FL Studio does seem to be pretty interesting, and if I need a quick fix to my recording environment either Reaper or Logic 9 will be my next step up. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Thanks for all the responses. I've been out of the game for a bit, but I'm pretty affluent in recording so having a basic setup for the fact of being new to it is not what I need. I just wanted to see what would be good for smaller scaled recordings that dont require top notch plug ins and stuff like that. I think for now I'm going to stick with Garageband until I see there is even a market for demos in my area. Eventually a hi-fi studio setup would be in the cards if there is enough work around here. I got out of it in Florida because it was way to cut-throat and everyone was a pro, even when they needed my gear to record. Just wanted to see if here is the same issue here in Montreal. FL Studio does seem to be pretty interesting, and if I need a quick fix to my recording environment either Reaper or Logic 9 will be my next step up. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Garageband is about the most basic you can get...the good thing is if you decide to go the logic route all your garageband projects can be opened in Logic as they are compatable projects

Maybe something to think about later

Good point. Plus I like to have at least both Logic and Protools to play all my old recordings on. Right now I'm gonna go easy and affordable. I'm messing with Reaper a little bit now.Kinda like it.

Back