Recording school

RobbieD

HEy should i Go to a recording school that lasts a year and cost like 10 000 around... will i learn a lot from these schools??

If you want to go into this sort of thing as a career go for it, but if not, its a waste of money, there are loads and loads of great tutorials on you tube and loads of great books

Study hard, be the best you can and make it. if your spending that much
I'm thinking this is what i'll do.
good luck

hm ok what do you guys think I need to get a good job in making music in let's say a gaming company or movies or commercials advertisements. A recording school or a music school???

i have a degree in fine art and do graphic design for huge corporation. I need the degree to get a decent job in this part of the field because they look for degrees on a resume. Take that into consideration.

The number one thing for most art stuff though is portfolio and experience. I would spend the 10,000 on the school BUT I WOULD TRY TO GET A JOB IN A STUDIO AS WELL. Any studio at all. anything related to the field. Get a job at a crappy studio and leave there as soon as you find a better one. Do this as much as possible to get somewhere solid.

The best thing on a resume, IMHO, is some sort of degree and WORK EXPERIENCE. If people see you worked in the field while learning about it they will take this into consideration so much.

steve

so you think i should finish my music school and keep practising and reading my recording and mixing skills?

Hey,
I don't want to discourage you from doing what you want to do, but make sure aware of how things really are before you commit.

Shop around for work now as if you are qualified already.
Spend a few weeks seriously looking for a job, even though you know you wont get it.

It might be a real eye opener as to how little work there is, or how competitive existing work is.
Of course geography is going to make a difference. Maybe it'll be easier for you to find work, but you should find out first.

I did a degree in audio production recently (1st class honours too!! )and Ok, I didn't expect it to be a ticket to work, but christ, I didn't think it'd be this hard either.
It's very much about being known among the right crowd and making an impression with the right people, as far as I can see.

I want to be a full time audio engineer, and a friend of mine wants to be a successful charting musician; I fancy his chances better than mine.

If you just want to study to further a hobby, I'd say forget it. Just read and watch everything you can online.

I want to be a full time audio engineer, and a friend of mine wants to be a successful charting musician; I fancy his chances better than mine.

And this is evident just from the numbers, all talent and skill aside - one engineer can service multiple artists, therefore there are fewer possible engineer positions.

They're looking for a good full portfolio with a bunch of different music styles and voice over probably including orchestral recording, I spent almost 2 years at omega recording schools in Rockville MD and didn't come out with much useful information. The market is declining and getting more and more saturated and more "home based" rather than studio based, yeah can properly check and adjust azimuth on a studer 2in 24 track but almost no one uses them anymore so my knowledge is useless to almost all but the big studios and those studios hire mostly based on word of mouth rather than resumes so unless you have an in or very good networking skills you need a good portfolio. You can always get an internship and get coffee and take out garbage for years for free and hope for the best but don't expect much.

Exactly what everyone said. Engineering is a hard hard field to get into and you will have to be real good with people and real good at all aspects of recording and engineering. The thing is you have to work super hard and be able to make impressions on people that want them to have you back.

I am not much of a peoples person myself and that is why i don't freelance. You basically have to bounce around everywhere and whore yourself out to hopefully meet someone that will take you "under there wing".

Also you need to be in a location that has good studios and a scene that uses them.

ok but I'm talking about the writing and composition too, can i get hired somewhere for just knowing music and having all the right degrees, or do they also look for people that know how to do the music along with putting it together, mixing it and all that??

OK let's say I want to make the music for a gaming company... What would look good on a resume??

Any applications I've looked at for 'proper' audio jobs have had the degree listed as an essential qualification.
I'd say portfolio and experience are the most important thing, but that piece of paper probably goes a long way when trying to get a job with a big software firm or the likes.

It's so hard to give advice, cos every inch of me feels like I've wasted a few years and a few grand,
yet I know I'd have even less of a chance without the qualifications......
FFS, you damn near need a degree to work in Tesco these days.

Back