recording questions.....

Tyler22

i am gonna go to a recording college this year to get my audio engineering diploma and i was just wondering.....(this might be alittle personel but) .......if you are an audio engineer how much about do you make a year? i just need some more info about this and cannot find it anywhere.....i just need an estimate.....thanks

also when i am recoring vocals( i record in a closet that i covered in foam) it seams like my vocal tracks are so seperate from the music itself......is there a good technique that i could use to blend the music together better???thanks alot

Not to sound harsh, but if you're even asking about money, you should find another line of work.

Audio Engineering schools are specious and most studio dawgs would tell you they offer no leg up on the traditional methods -

1. being a janitor/gopher at a nice studio in exchange for some off-hours hands on experience which, at some point you may get a chance to display your methods to one of the big guys

2. Volunteering to be a gopher/assistant for several years until you get a chance to display your methods to one of the big guys

Either way, you need a girlfriend with a real job.

My cousin worked in Pasedena for years in the studios as a guitar tech because his Audio Engineering certificate didn't mean shit to them. He was just lucky that he had the skills for that (no luthier certification, just the knowledge). He has sat in front of a console once, for a garage band recording a demo. He didn't get paid for it. And he has a girlfriend with a good job....

Follow your dreams...

but not because you will get rich doing that. You will be happy doing that, no matter what they are. :eek:

I wrote a song!

Do you see how jaded the music business leaves you. Money, ain't it a bit*h. Most pro's will tell you that going to a school is probably not the best approach. Here's why. By the time you've finished school and have your certificate, all that you've learned will be either obsolete (asidee from techniques in general) or on its way out. Music is ever changing. On the other hand, the Conservatory of recording arts has nice facilities, as does citrus college in Glendora, CA. As for money, few and far between. It all comes down to how much you know and who you know. After two years I make $22.50/hour, at a studio that charges $250/hour, go figure. My only saving grace is the amount of friends I'm able to drag in. All of those bands that you think sound great, befriend them, record them, practice, then take their money when your good enough.

Back